Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Liquid Solar Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

New Liquid Solar Cover

So I was in the pool store looking at solar covers complaining to the guy about how much I HATE solar covers (large pool, pain in the butt to get on an off, and makes the pool dirty) and he showed me a brand new product by Natural Chemistry called Cover Free. Said it is different than the solar fish, new technology blah blah blah. Has anybody heard of this? I know the general consensus on the board is that liquid solar covers dont work that well but I am wondering about this one. I have a heater and a 6ft privacy fence all around the pool. Wind is not that much of an issue. Not much wind generally gets through that fence. Also I dont run my pump at night. Only during the day. Not looking to heat the pool, just hoping to keep my heat in at night. Any thoughts?
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: New Liquid Solar Cover

Do you have kids? Kids tend to put water in their mouths and swallow it. Not sure if I'd want my kids swallowing this stuff.

Have you considered cutting the solar cover into sections to make it easier to handle?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

From the description, it is likely to be very similar to WaterSavr that uses stearyl alcohol or HeatSavr that uses cetyl alcohol or to products that use a mixture of these. These are similar to Natural Chemistry® COVERfree™ in that they also create a "mono-layer" that decreases evaporation and associated heat loss.

They are not as good as a traditional solar cover, but in calm conditions with little or no wind they work better than nothing at all on the pool. Though some people like such products, on this forum we've had negative comments such as in this post and this post.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

I dont have kids so that is not a concern. My dogs are fenced off from the pool by an underground fence so I dont have to worry about that. I think I am going to give it a try... I will do anything to avoid a solar cover on the thing. Dont use them for heating the pool because I have a heater for that. Really only need to try to minimize heat loss. On a cold night I can drop 10 degrees. If this can even save me 5 degrees I will call it a success. I will let you guys know what happens.
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater