3rd Install still has problems

Red Shirt Ensign

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2011
So quick background on my new pool build
During installation the liner was too big so they had to stop at 2 Feet of water and drain and replace the liner

2nd liner was installed without an issue in size but the 5" of back fill I laid around the pool turned into clay mud due to all the rain we had during may in Cleveland.
I think what happened is the mud pushed the bottom track in in spots and they did not remove the backfill in enough spots (They dug up probably 10 sections worth of backfill along the edges and pulled the track out by hand when they were fitting the 2nd liner

So now I have columns that are not in alignment with each other

I sent these pictures to the installer and he claims that the reason the wall seam can be seen behind the support is due to the Aluminum roll being too tight out of the box (I'm not totally sold at this point) Can these pillars be corrected without having to drain again?

Your advice please

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• IMG00052-20110524-1946.jpg
    IMG00052-20110524-1946.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG00053-20110530-2050.jpg
    IMG00053-20110530-2050.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG00054-20110530-2050.jpg
    IMG00054-20110530-2050.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 644
Re: Can this be fixed???

I believe the supports lock into the lower rail, if I remember right. It looks like the support is not locked in at the bottom? Move some of the dirt away at the bottom and see if there is any outward movement.

To me it looks like an unfinished job and if not unfinished to them, then some lack of dedication on getting it placed properly. If it were my installation, I think I would have them come take a look at it again or at least explain (because I haven't been around or done any installations) if this is going to continue to stay this way or? Were they subcontracted by the pool seller? If so, and you don't have luck with the installers then I would suggest definitely talking to them and soon.

Hope you get things settled and get to enjoy your pool soon. :cool:

There supposed to come back Sunday and I want to be armed with knowledge when they do! I won't dig anything out myself before they do because they are warranting the installation. They are contractors for a large locally owned and based chain of pool stores in the Cleveland area called Litehouse.

What I am hoping to hear from you all is that they can fix this without draining the pool.... that the supports can be adjusted without too much difficulty etc...
That the seam can be "rehidden" behind the support properly.

Now that the pool is technically up the "enthusiiastic support" from the installer is dropping... I will get the store involved if something doesn't happen or doesn't go right on Sunday.

Any more comments are appreciated.

If and IF they no what there doing they can brace the top rail on either side of the support and adjust it and un-twist it. But if not done correctly this can be very dangerous! Let them handle it.

Exactly... It swarranty and They need to provide a decent finished product. I just want to know specifically what they should be doing so I can control the situation

Any additional feedback please let me know!!!

Thanks,
Dan

Need new input on bad install please!!!

So the installer came back out today and dug up along the 3-4 bad sections and we saw the following
The wall is out of the track and bent

He wants to drain on tueday and then straighten the wall and reinstall (saving the liner)

1. Would the liner be ok?
2. Will the wall be ok if he bends it back (It doesn't seem bent with a seam just rounded)
3. The walls are now scratched through the coating and those more likely to corrode when reburied

I'm thinking I should demand more (wall and liner etc...)

Your opinions please!!
A frickin nightmare (its my luck for asking for an experienceed crew...)

Attachments

• IMG00068-20110605-1936.jpg
    IMG00068-20110605-1936.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG00067-20110605-1936.jpg
    IMG00067-20110605-1936.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG00060-20110605-1933.jpg
    IMG00060-20110605-1933.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 465
Re: Need new input on more bad install news

I don't know that they're going to be able to straighten that out to where it looks right. That's a pretty severe bend. The liner will most likely be fine but we'd have a serious discussion about that wall.

so far so good... sent my pictures into the store.. they sent up to corporate and they came back with a new Wall and new Liner... Now just got to get the installer to do the work right and not be in a hurry and take his time....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Wow sorry about your luck with Lighthouse Pools...or should I say their installers. I have not had any good experiences Lighthouse (Strongsville) .. When we went in there to look at pools we got treated very poorly. Hopefully you can get them to reimburse your water too.. Good luck to you

they reimbursed the water last time (Bad initial liner) They will do so again

Plus I want my CH (16lbs) which they had me add to maintain the warranty on heater
new 2lb lithium chlorine pack, a new PH +, new CYA... basically everything they gave me in the starter kit

I also heated that water with the pool heater from 60-80 degrees I should beentitled to my gas costs for reheating that water I might not get that nitpicky about it though...

My salesperson in Mentor wasn't that hot either... but I have steered my way over and away from her to the manager himself and he has been very accomodating and helpful.

I think Litehouse has been agreeable and helpful in the matter, but the installers they contract (and to be fair they also work for the other stores in the area)
are the weak link in the chain.

So we had our 3rd install Friday Afternoon, and now that the pool was finished filling by Midnight Saturday night... we see on Sunday morning that a new wall has a bend in it just like the old one... with the exception that the wall is still in the track this time...

They broke the whole pool down... washed off the rails so they could be re-leveled but the pool back together and its still not quite right.. though less wrong than the previous pictures suggest (will be able to post my pics tonight...

So I can't believe they couldn't get it perfect this time either!!
I had the store out Sunday to take a look and then I forwarded my description and pics to the store/corporate HQ etc...

The pool store manager said that this sometimes happens on some ovals (I have a round) and that its typically ok but he will wait for the corporate people to respond etc...

So I will post my picst later and then you can let me know what you would do or accept in this case!!

Thanks All,
Dan

so here are the pictures of my latest install problem

same section in the pool as above, but this tyime the wall is in the track still but still having a bit of a bend

They took down the whole pool and releveled it with a transit cleaned all the track pieces with a hose to get any mud of them and we still have this bending wall issue (new wall and new Liner)

What do you think all???

Attachments

• Presentation1.pdf
    114.6 KB · Views: 39
Sorry to hear about your pool problem.

I have an idea about what is going on.
It looks like to me that the wall is too big for the tracks. Hear me out. The diameter of the track is just a little smaller than the diameter of the wall. From the pictures you have posted the part of the wall at the bottom is bent inward and a little buckled (crunching together to fit in to a smaller hole) but go up a few inches and the wall is not buckled (staying at its current size). The wall is staying in the track but the weight of the water pushing on the inside of the wall is causing the wall to strech out to its diameter but the track stays at its diameter. That gives the buckled effect and a bulge in the wall. If the track and the wall was the same diameter you would not have this issue. Hope this helps a little.

To give you an example. Take a straw and try to put one end in to the end of another straw. You will have to buckle the strawend to get it in the other straw. Large hole in to small hole.

Just my take on this.
:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.