Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Increase CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Increase CYA?

Trying to decide if I should shock or increase the CYA? I'm using about 182oz+ of 6% bleach nightly. I've done a overnight FC twice. The first night 1.0 decrease second night no decrease. Water is clear. Been hot pollen is just about gone but has been heavy and I've been catching with skimmer socks. My pool is in direct sun all day. Last year my CYA was at 80 and know i used less bleach to keep FC up. Is there something I'm missing? Add bleach at night to bring up to 6.0 next night 1.5 - 2.0 with some swimmers through out the day heat and direct sun. What do you all suggest? I don't think i need to shock???

FC-2-6
    CC 0 - .5
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 100
    CYA 30

Thanks
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Increase CYA?

No indications of needing to shock there as far as I can see. When I get down to 25, I use some pucks to chlorinate and bring CYA up gradually. 40 seems to work for me.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yeah 30 is too low for the sun and bather load you're placing on the pool. I would bring it up to 50ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have an old floater from last year should I use that for a couple days or go the solid in the sock route in front of the jets? thanks
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

5. Back To Top    #5

Socks in front of the jets will be a whole lot faster. The jump from 30 to 50 pretty much requires it.

You could shoot for just below 50 and use a puck or two at the same time, just a thought. I think you have options but getting to 50 rapidly would not be an option for pucks alone.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I suggest the granular in the sock.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I use a gallon of bleach a day at CYA of 50ish with full sun pool as a yard stick for ya'. Your pool is twice my volume. Considering going to 70 myself. Losing right about 4ppm per day as is.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

I had CYA of 80 last year seemed to work good until you needed to shock at closing. Will see what happens at 50 for now and then make that decision. Thanks for the input
    Central, VA