Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Every year mid spring

1. Back To Top    #1

Every year mid spring

Hey guys,

Every year around early to mid spring the top of my pool gets coated with white ugly stuff. Its obviously coming from trees.
    Im guessing its most likely pollen but I dont know.

The filter / skimmers dont keep pace with it and for weeks there is a layer of gunk on top of the pool. You dont really notice it from outside since the pool just looks crystal clear. But when you are in there swimming and eye level with it, its very obvious.

Does anyone else find this annoyance around spring? Is it most likely pollen and if so is there a way to get rid of it?
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Every year mid spring

Keeping my return pointed toward the surface and to one side gets it out of mine. You cna use a skimmer sock to help too.

It would help if you had you info in your sig.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Its probably Cottonwood. Here in Ohio it is EVERYWHERE right now. I use pantyhose in the skimmer baskets. Otherwise it will get right through.
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

It ain't no fun to pick off that pantyhose either!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh. I just throw the pantyhose out every few days and put on new ones. Never thought about picking it out. LOL.
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. Ill try the skimmer socks / pantyhose
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

I have fixed inlet spouts. So until its all gone, I only have my pull filled enough to barely cover the return so the top of the water is rather swirly. my girls love it. lol
    18ft x 48in Round Intex Ultra frame. 6,700 gallons.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by LisaM
    Its probably Cottonwood.
    I moved in with my fiance in the winter of 2007 at her parent's house (which is about 45 miles west of where my parents live) and now live another 45 miles west. Until moving in to our current house in May of 2009 I had never seen an abundance of cottonwood, in fact I never even noticed it until moving here!
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]