WAY overchlorinated, I think!

DavidEC

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2009
Hello,
This is my second year using the BBB method with the TFP test kit, and I'm hooked both form the economic as well as the control standpoint. Thanks for this information.
With that being said, I accidently added 3 of the 1 gallon jugs of 12.5% pool chlorine to my 24' above ground pool this past weekend. Even with the pump continually running, I just measured about 40 ppm of free chlorine!
I'm sure my liner will turn white and my solar cover will melt; but what I'd really like to know is if there is a way to reduce this effectively?
I can't imagine how long it will take just letting the sun drop the level to 10 or so, so that we can swim and get it to drop more?
I've thought about draining some of it, or adding peroxide.
Do you think that I should just wait it out?
I couldn't believe it when I had to put 80 drops into the vial to make it turn clear! my Taylor kit was dark orange!

Thanks,
Dave

Well, once again the experts on this site been proven correct for their given information.
I can't believe it (maybe alot of chlorine floating on top?) but after one relatively sunny day with the solar cover off, I have the following:
TC: 16
CC: 0
TA: 110
PH: 7-7.5
CYA: about 30 (still having trouble pinpointing the exact level that I really can't see the dot)
Temperature: 75°

Thanks again. We'll probably be swimming this weekend after finishing the garage roof!
Last year with the first year for the BBB method, and after the mishap of too much chlorine, I'm closer to correct chemistry than I've ever been this early in the year!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.