Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Overflow drain: the other end?

1. Back To Top    #1

Overflow drain: the other end?

I've been taking walks through the alleys around the neighborhood, peeking between fence slats at pools and comparing notes.

I see some folks' pool overflow drains connect to a pop-up emitter that lets the water drain into the alley, like this:

My builder left me with this bare pipe:

My question is: is that OK? Around the block I see a few people with pop-up emitters, a few with plastic gratings, and also a few with bare pipes, like mine.

Should I plop on an emitter or a grate—or just not worry about it?
    I laughto disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′ | Filtration DE 48′ | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33N 97W)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Overflow drain: the other end?

It doesn't really matter. Some people like the way the popups look better, but all it really is changing is the appearance.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Overflow drain: the other end?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It doesn't really matter. Some people like the way the popups look better, but all it really is changing is the appearance.
    And keeping someone's kid from getting a hand or something stuck in it. Last thing you need is to stress test your liability insurance over something simple like that. Open pipes of any variety are just a plain bad idea.
    Doug
    12k g IG plaster w/ Diamondbrite, spillover spa, 1.5hp Jacuzzi pump, 100sq/f Jacuzzi cartridge, inline chlorinator (tab), 9-10h runtime peak season