Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First K-2006 test results

1. Back To Top    #1

First K-2006 test results

First off, I have a K-2006 kit on order, so don't beat me! I picked up an hth 6-way kit from WalMart this morning just to have something to test with.

New AG Intex 16' x 48", just finished filling last night with city water.

I have spent the last hour searching the forums but cannot seem to understand how to interpret the Cl Br results on the hth test and translate to TC.

I'm attaching a photo of my test results. (click to embiggen)

It appears that TC is .5 ppm. And from my Pool School perusal, my TC goal is 6ppm? I'm doing BBB so I intend to add bleach to achieve this level, using the the Pool Calculator. I also need to determine if I need to shock since this result seems so low.

(Also my pH is 7.2, which is nice, since I did absolutely nothing to achieve it. )

Other results:
    TA 80ppm
    TH no idea -- black dot never disappeared, but since this is a fresh fill, I guess that's normal... right? (Please say it's normal)
    I just need someone to hold my hand, pat my head and tell me it's gonna be OK. Thanks.
    BBB/TFP/Taylor K-2006 Evangelist!
    6/13 - Installed AG Sharkline Heritage 21'x54" 11K gallons. Hayward 1660s sand filter, Hayward single-speed 1 hp pump; city water. Husband builds, I maintain.
    5/11 - Starter pool 6000-gallon Intex Ultra 16'x48" AG with standard 1500 gph 1/3 hp cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Converting hth Test Results

You don't need to shock if it's all fresh from the tap. But you do need to get some stabilizer in the water and most definitely more chlorine.

pH looks low; but if TA is 80, it will likely rise some with circulation. Check it again a few hours after you've started things, and see what Pool Calculator says, or just post results and let us guide you.

This article will walk you through things. Be sure you put the right pool surface and so on into the Pool Calculator.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, I've been reading that article; the TC vs. CL threw me off a little.

So when I enter my numbers into The Calculator, FC should be Now: 1 and Goal: 6?

Thanks for the hand-holding.
    6/13 - Installed AG Sharkline Heritage 21'x54" 11K gallons. Hayward 1660s sand filter, Hayward single-speed 1 hp pump; city water. Husband builds, I maintain.
    5/11 - Starter pool 6000-gallon Intex Ultra 16'x48" AG with standard 1500 gph 1/3 hp cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by reagan
    TH no idea -- black dot never disappeared, but since this is a fresh fill, I guess that's normal... right
    If you mean CYA, then yes it is normal for the starting CYA level to be zero and the black dot to never disappear.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's how things should be listed.
    pH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    With the 2006 you'll be able to get all those numbers. The kit you have now misses a couple of them.
    Your kit measures TC which is FC+CC. You need to add some chlorine to get to 3 ppm. You can use the Pool Calc to figure out how much.
    The black dot test is CYA and with fresh fill you won't have any so no use testing that again till you get some in there. You need to go ahead and add enough to get to about 40. You can do that by using dichlor to add FC and CYA till you're there or you can buy stabilizer alone and use bleach to raise the FC while adding the CYA.
    The HTH kit also test TH (total hardness) and not CH (calcium hardness) which is what you really want to know. (Only if it's high is it an issue).

Concentrate on adding FC and some CYA till your 2006 arrives.

It's gonna be Ok. I promise.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Climbs down off of the ledge.

Thanks so much. I ordered my test kit shipped FedEx; should be here soon. In the meantime, I used the Pool Calc and added bleach. Kids are going to be so excited to get in when the oldest gets home from school this afternoon! I'm going to retest this evening just to see if there's any change.

7. Back To Top    #7

First K-2006 test

Got my K-2006 today. Results:

PH 7.6
    FC 11
    CC 0 (Sample never changed to pink)
    TA 100
    CH -- (didn't test)
    CYA (dot never clouded)

I have not had a chance to pick up dichlor yet, so I used the Pool Calc and bleach... I have to run to Leslie's tomorrow after son #1's baseball practice to pick some up. Any comments on the results so far? Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Re: First K-2006 test results

Nice work! You need to get some CYA in your pool so your chlorine loss will be minimized. I am late to this thread. How does your water look?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, I owe it all (and I do mean ALL!) to TFP!

Water is nice and clear; tap water, just filled a week ago.

10. Back To Top    #10

Finally got to Leslie's yesterday to pick up some Dichlor. Added last night, let the pump run, and here are my test results this morning:

PH 7.4
    FC 9.5
    CC 0 (Sample never changed to pink)
    TA 100
    CH Didn't test
    CYA ? dot didn't cloud

Water is still nice and clear.

I've reviewed the photos that demonstrate the CYA test, and I believe that I am doing it correctly. Since I just added the Dichlor last night (10 oz), I'm going to retest tonight. I also picked up a couple of bottles from Leslie's and will have them test it in a few days.

11. Back To Top    #11

10 oz of dichlor is only going to raise CYA by 6.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

The taylor test kit k-2006 is the the best investment i have ever bought for my pool hands down!
    18ft 52in deep doughboy 8000 gallons
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    tk-2006 test kit that rocks!
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac

13. Back To Top    #13

@Jason: After reading so many posts from people whose CYA is so high they have to drain... I'm erring on the side of caution. Is it OK to add the dichlor a bit at a time?

@Hawkeye: Agree. I can't believe how much better this test is than the 6-way hth I started out with! I'm a newbie and I can already tell it's worth every penny.

14. Back To Top    #14

You can raise CYA slowly if you want. But while CYA is low you are going to be losing a lot of chlorine to sunlight. You are correct to be cautious about not raising CYA too high, I would just go in larger steps than that.