New pool and Water Questions

deer hunter

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois
Hello, I will be starting my build(18x36 inground vinyl 17,300 gal) next month. I have tested(TF-100) my fill water and here are the results. FC-1ppm, CC-1ppm, T/A-90, CYA-0 and PH is high over 8.2. My question is what to add and how much at what times when filling. I have already purchased the 8 gal liquidator and will be using the BBB method. Thanks, Dan

Dan - sounds like you'll just need some Muratic Acid to get the PH down. You can add it as soon as the pump is circulating the water. Use the Pool Calculator to determine how much you'll need to add.

Purchase some stabilizer/CYA along with your liquid chlorine and you should be good to go. :)

You will need to add stabilizer aka Cyanuric Acid aka CYA. From those readings, it's obvious you will also need acid from the get-go. Chlorine almost goes without saying, but I'll mention it anyway.

How much depends entirely on the size of your pool. Bookmark Pool Calculator. It will become your best friend. Be sure to choose the wall finish and your source of chlorine, which will be bleach. You'll want to manually dose the chlorine at the startup, then let the liquidator maintain it. As the CYA dissolves and starts to rise, you'll need to fine-tune that liquidator, as you'll be losing less to sunlight.

Here's an article that spells out the order of things. It says "seasonal," but the sequence is exactly the same. There are plenty of articles in Pool School; you should spend some time reading them.

Here's a key thing: Don't put anything into the pool if you don't know exactly what it is! There are no magic powders, no matter how smooth and convincing the pool store salesman is. All those "systems" are just the same chemicals we recommend repackaged, renamed, and overpriced. Plus many of them have unwanted additives. Stick with what is recommended and you will never have to start a thread asking why the pool wall is stained or why your wife has green hair!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.