Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chemicals and filter cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

chemicals and filter cleaning

I have to take apart my filter and clean it, so I went and bought the stuff to do so last night, but I also need to adjust my pH, CYA, and my CH is low. My question is, since the filter is already on the pool and I've started to get it going for the year, do I work on adjusting the water first, or cleaning the pump? or does the order even matter? And also, I have a ? about the CH. I've tested and double tested, to make sure my reading is correct, and it is at 130-140. According to this site, and the test kit instructions, it says b/w 200-300 is ideal. Is that accurate for a vinyl above ground pool? So, here are my #'s, using the Trouble Free Test Kit TF-100: (I know chlorine needs work too .
    FC .5 (last night)
    CC 1
    TA 120
    CH130-140
    pH 8.2
    CYA 20

Thank You in advance! BTW, I have a 15x30x4ft oval above ground pool with a Hayward EC40 series DE filter (which, I'm using for the first time and didn't realize I needed to wash the fingers first so installed it before doing so).
    Lori
    Hayward S180T Sand Filter
    15 X 30 Above Ground Pool (10,600 Gallons)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chemicals and filter cleaning

In the Pool School article Recommended Levels, the recommended level for CH in a vinyl pool is 50-300ppm. Yours is fine.

You want to get the pool chlorinated quickly, but you don't want to use your filter without DE. I'd add chlorine, circulate for a couple of hours, then work on the filter. It shouldn't take long.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Double ditto what John said!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you! I'm glad I posted my #'s, b/c I thought I needed to increase the CH ,but it wasn't sitting well with me. We'll be working on the chlorine & balancing today then! Thank you for your advice!
    Lori

5. Back To Top    #5

sorry, one other quick question. is there a wait time b/w adding the chlorine and stabilizer before I can add muriatic acid to bring the pH down? I currently have the CYA hanging from a sock in front of the return, and don't want to overload with chemicals. Thanks!
    Lori

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by momofmany
    sorry, one other quick question. is there a wait time b/w adding the chlorine and stabilizer before I can add muriatic acid to bring the pH down? I currently have the CYA hanging from a sock in front of the return, and don't want to overload with chemicals. Thanks!
    An hour should be plenty. If you brush the pool, that will mix things up even faster.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks again! I appreciate all of your collective help
    Lori