Well water question

Jun 1, 2011
I have had my pool for about 5 or 6 years.Always had to had metal removing chemicals due to bad well water.Always turned water brown after adding chlorine.Stained the walls.We recently got a culligan system for our water.My question is,do i still have to add the metal sequestering chemicals being that it is the same water in the pool? Would i have to drain all the old water and add all new culligan treated water to get away from the metal problem??Please Help!! Thank!

Welcome to TFP!

I would check with the manufacturer of that system and ask about whether or not it pulls metal out of the water. My guess is that it doesn't, but it is worth asking. Metal removal typically requires a green filter or other type of metal specific filter to do the job of pulling out metals. These filters are fairly expensive.

Would i have to drain all the old water and add all new culligan treated water to get away from the metal problem??
Pretty much, "Yes". Additionally, most household water softeners simply don't have the capacity to soften that much pool water. You may find yourself regenerating your softener FAR more than is really practical.

However, assuming your filter removes iron, you could start using it as a refill source and eventually replace all the well water in your pool. That would take a very long time.

i have a in-home filter system too, however i do not think it will filter the water like u are talking about.....it probaly can filter water pretty good, but i am pretty sure u will still need to use metal removing chemicals. u probaly wont need to add as much, but i dont think your filter would be able to keep up with the demand of water u need.....
the first year i filled my pool with hose water which comes from our well....it turned brown....this was a year after i had all new pipes and new filter system put into the house.....

i assume u need alot (more than 3,000 gallons) of water, so your filter(replacable??) will take a beating running water for about 5 to 6 hours straight...it will be drawing water from the well, which will be reaching to new limits to fill your pool....your filter sytem should help out some but i wouldnt expect your water not turn some shade of brown.....sorry! u can try it, if anything just run your water for about 2 hours a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, all! So we set up our pool today and I found this site this evening....while searching through trying to find an answer to a question, I came across this post about using well water and now I have another question!! The pool we purchased is an Intex 16' x 48" Ultra AGP and the Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Water Sanitizing System. We have the pool up and were able to get about 6" of water in it before it got late...will finish filling it tomorrow. Now, for my question....we, too, are on a well and are using well water to fill the pool....are we supposed to be adding something else to the water since we are using well water? and, just in case anyone knows the answer to my other question, I'll just throw it out there.....the drain valve cap is cracked...it came that way, but we didn't notice it was cracked until we already had the pool up.... and we have a slow leak already from it.... is the leak going to get worse if we continue filling it? and will Intex send us a replacement cap?

Thanks for any help..... I'm sure hoping I didn't get us into something that is going to turn out to be a major pain in the neck!

Just because you have well water doesn't necessarily mean you have to add anything special to it to use it in a pool. The issue is if your well has metals or other stuff in it that makes it a problem. Have you had an assay (water report) done on your well that lists the makeup of the water? If so post it and we can tell you if you have anything that you need to address.

Yes, we had a water test done but i don't really remember everything it said. I do know that our water was very hard and had alot of maganese in it which causes all my pool water problems.When we first purchased the pool we had a truck haul in loads of water to fill it.The pool was getting close to full but needed another load. At about $150 a load the guy asked us if we wanted to fill it the rest of the way with our well water and we agreed.We hadn't lived here long and didn't know much about well water.We tossed the hose in and continued to fill the pool.It was late and getting dark when we got done.Went out in the morning and it looked like a giant mud puddle.Stained my brand new pool's liner.We were very disgusted!

ouch, 150 bucks a pop??? i got all 5000 gallons for that price, and in 1 trip. of course doing it 4 times in 2 weeks adds up, but thats another issue....

do u have a pool store near by? maybe u can take a sample to them. call them and ask them if its possible....

I have been using well water in my pool for several years. Every time I refill it I go to the pool store and get one or two bottles of stain and scale remover, and vaccuum alot. I did switch to a sans filter from a ec 40 earth filter because the earth filter would get to clogged and I got tired of taking it apart and cleaning it, the sand filter is easier to backwash and get going faster.

If what you are calling metal ,is the rusty red color it is called iron bacteria and your sand filter should clear it up . I have it in my well and when I filled my pool we could not see the bottom,skip the chemicals and let the filter do its thing.Mine takes about 48 hrs to clear up crystal clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.