Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new products?

1. Back To Top    #1

new products?

Hi Has anyone tried Aquafinesse pool pucks to rid pool of bio films which they claim causes alot of pool problems?
    18' by 33' 52" AG oval pool 15,700 gallons brand new going up 6-6-11
    22" pentair sand filter 1 1/2 hp motor wide mouth skimmer and main drain center bottom hard plumbed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new products?

I cannot find a MSDS on the product so I am not sure what is in it. Looks to be a trichlor tablet, but without knowing for sure what the complete composition of the tablets are, we cannot recommend its use. At TFP, we only encourage the use of products where the chemical makeup is known. Some things add substances to the pool that can be harmful or damaging to pool equipment and surfaces.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    I cannot find a MSDS on the product so I am not sure what is in it.
    Here is the MSDS
    http://www.aquafinesseone.com/wp-conten ... 3_2009.pdf
    18 ft round (Intex style) Summer Escape pool
    1hp Hayward pump and sand filter (size escapes me)
    Intex SWG
    Planning an upgrade to a 24ft as soon as we wear this one out!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Pucks are pucks. Tri-chlor.

Pucks can always be part of pool water management IF you understand the drawbacks.

They are EASILY the single biggest headache we see here on the forum when they are used to excess.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Adding to what duraleigh mentioned, most pucks are trichlor but they are also not created equal. Some have metals in them. Pace/HTH ones for example, have copper. Metals are never good to introduce into any pool water as they tend to stain and discolor water, hair, and other things.

6. Back To Top    #6

In looking at the MSDS sheet, following are the ingredients:
    Sodium carbonate
    Disodium metasilicate

Did I miss something on these being trichlor?

So the first item is washing soda and the second item is something used in cleaning and other applications? Wikipedia has a large writeup on sodium metasilicate but I don't know if it's the same thing as disodium metasilicate.

Any further comments? Thank you,
    Jan
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

7. Back To Top    #7

It does not appear that these particular tablets are trichlor.

But that actually is irrelevant.

Chlorine and brushing take care of biofilms which don't form if you maintain proper FC levels to begin with.

I wouldn't use them.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

They contain soda ash and floc. They appear to be designed to be used in combination with trichlor. The soda ash would help keep the PH in balance, to compensate for trichlor being so acidic, and the floc is presumably to help keep the water clear. I don't see any way in which they will help prevent bio-films. I also much prefer products that only add one thing at a time, since whatever combination they have come up with is unlikely to be exactly the combination you actually need.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Jason for the clarification - I'm comfortable now with what they are. And I totally agree about a product adding more than one thing at a time - not good.
    Best,
    Jan
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

10. Back To Top    #10

I found this Aquafinesse stuff while looking for Soft Touch (which I think is a borate treatment). Turns out theyr'e both made by Capo Industries, and their office/lab/plant/transmutation lab is 5 minutes from my house. I really wish I was as chemically inclined as Chem Geek or Water Bear or Jason, so I could drop by their office and pick the lab technician's brains.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre