Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long to re-test after adding bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long to re-test after adding bleach?

I thought that last year I read that you can re-test for FC about 2 hours after adding bleach (in front of returns). If that is true, then I'm getting some good bleach from Dollar General. I tested at 6:00 pm and the FC=2. I added 182 oz of bleach. I re-tested at 9:00 pm, and the FC=9. According to the Pool Calculator, 182 oz of 6% bleach raises FC 4.2.

I tested at 2 different spots (one in the shallow, one in the deep) across the pool from where I added the bleach.

The same thing happened when I tested today. Not that I am complaining, but I would like to know if I am actually using stronger bleach than I am paying for, or if I am not waiting long enough for the bleach to circulate.
    21K gallon, 16 x32 IG Vinyl, 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump,
    200 lbs Sand filter, Full sun all day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long to re-test after adding bleach?

About 30 minutes to circulate should be enough.

What test are you using? Is it the FAS-DPD?

3. Back To Top    #3

It could be that your volume is less than 21,000 gallons. If your average depth is 4.5 feet, and the pool is not a full rectangle, then your volume would be closer to 15,700 gallons and the FC would go up by 5.6 ppm by adding 182 ounces of 6 % bleach.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    It could be that your volume is less than 21,000 gallons. If your average depth is 4.5 feet, and the pool is not a full rectangle, then your volume would be closer to 15,700 gallons and the FC would go up by 5.6 ppm by adding 182 ounces of 6 % bleach.
    +1