still low chlorine after MAJOR amounts of bleach

May 31, 2011
I'm really at my wits end so I appreciate any help. I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere else. I've read as much as I could on this forum and am still at a loss as to how to fix my problem.

I can literally never get enough chlorine in my pool. My CYA number hovers between 30 and 50. My Ph number hovers between 7.2 and 7.5. My chlorine numbers stay around .1.

I used the pool calculator to calculate how much bleach to put in my pool to get to a good level of chlorine, around 4ppm. The calculator said I need to add 130oz of 6% bleach. I added that, no movement. I added another 180oz the next day, which is the size of the big bottle of bleach at walmart but still nothing. I added another 180 a few hours later, still nothing. I did the same thing the next day with no effect. I have literally put over 900 ounces of bleach in my pool in three days and I have only gotten the chlorine level to rise to .5.

If it helps, I'm in south Alabama. My pool is in direct sunlight all day long and It is crazy-hot right now. The high here tomorrow is supposed to be 99. Could this be my problem? I'm desperate for help. The chlorine levels weren't right so the family didn't get to use the pool over the Memorial Day weekend. I'm not in a good standing with the wife! Help!

If your pool is 15,700 gallons, then 900 ounces of 6 % bleach should have given you 28 ppm of FC, excluding losses. If you're not using FAS-DPD, then your test might be bleaching out. Try using a cheap OTO chlorine test kit to see what that shows.

Another possibility is that the bleach that you're using is less than 6 % sodium hypochlorite. Does the label say 6 % sodium hypochlorite?

I'm w/Woodyp... How are you testing your water? How old is your bleach?... it does degrade over a short time. What are your other test results? How big is your pool?

Your CYA should be a stable number unless you have been recently adding some or if you have drained some water.

Sun and heat can eat up your chlorine, as can anything in the water that uses the chlorine up.

Give some more information and people here are more than willing to help you figure it out. With that kind of heat I'd want to be swimming in like your wife wants to too :)

Hey, Joe,

Welcome to the forum :lol:
I'm not in a good standing with the wife!
That is indeed a very precarious situation and requires immediate help! :lol: :lol:

I am very sure you need to shock your pool. To do so, please read how up in Pool School (shocking the pool correctly is a process....not a one-time event)

That said, you need to post test results so we can confirm that is your problem.

If you do not have your own FAS/DPD test kit, it it will be a very good investment towards restoring peace at home. Short of that, get a sample to a pool store and post up the results of their testing.....do not expect it to be very reliable but it will at least get your started.

If you are unable to get your pool swimmable, it's probably not a bad idea to start browsing in the jewelry store and lock up all the firearms in the house. I'm just sayin.... :shock: :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.