Pump run times

Feb 9, 2011
Central Texas
Background:
So I have been battling getting my tablet feeder to keep up with my new pool. The PB came out today to look at it and said the system is working fine He said I am not running the pump long enough, and using the wrong tablets (indeed, I had the HTH tabs which are not 99%). He said in the summer I have to run the pump much more than I was at higher RPMs.

I don't intend to use tabs, but liquid chlorine for my primary source. I would like to keep the feeder for vacations. I even ordered a Stenner pump to make life a little easier.

So here is my question:
My water quality seems to be fine since I am testing and adjusting daily. If I am not relying on the pump to flow dissolve tablets, how much do I need run the pump at higher RPMs? I would like to get the most out of my VS pump.

I had the pump scheduled as follows calculating GPM using Mark's spreadsheet:
8:30 AM - 3:00 PM @ 2800 RPM ~ 67 GPM. ~ 1.1 turnover / day
3:00 PM - 8:00 PM @ 1800 RPM ~ 30 GPM ~ .5 turnover / day

My PB set up the pump to run:
10:00 AM - 7:00PM @ 2800. This amounts to about 1.57 turnovers / day

Any thoughts?

Your pump run time should be tied to your water quality. Essentially, you want the water to turn over once a day. If you have to run it more than that just to allow for your tablet feeder to keep up, I would say that this is an expensive way to dissolve tablets and I would suggest getting a floater instead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.