sand filter comparison

Apr 21, 2011
I'm a new pool owner and boy oh boy are we having first time owner issues... we knew we had to get a new pool pump this year which we went ahead and bought. We ended up redoing all the wiring out to the pool as the previous owner had a very unsafe electrical system. So we redid all that... only to find out that once we got the pump finally running, all the water was pouring out of the bottom of the sand filter. Apparently the previous owner didn't winterize it as well as he'd thought, and it's busted in 3 places. Completely unrepairable. Sad being that it's only a year old. Needless to say though we have to buy another one.

Here's the question.... should I go with the same exact one that is currently on the system? It's a Tagelus TA 60D (24") sand filter. I have priced these and can get it for around $450 (shipped). Or should I go with a Hayward 24" sand filter for about the same price from In the Swim. Are they better? Will the dimensions be the same or will I have to redo the plumbing lines?

The pool is a 36,000 gallon in ground concrete pool... we have a 1 1/2 HP pump.

Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful, but please keep in mind that we're on a budget. If a larger filter would be better it still has to be feasible for us to purchase, so if the 24" is sufficient (even though not ideal) then that is what we'll probably have to stick with.

ok that's what i wanted to know... i had heard of the hayward brand before and if it was a much better brand then i was tempted to go with it. But as long as the Tagelus is good then I'm comfortable with getting the same to replace it... what are your thoughts on the size of the filter with the size of my pool and pump? Is it adequate?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.