Apologies if this post sounds a lot like a few others this year, but while the symptoms may be the same, the cause (and the cure?) might be different.
Opened the pool a few weeks ago and after the usual cleanup, the water looked good. First, the CYA was around 20, so I added some stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer, ran the pump 24/7 for about a week, did not backwash. PH was fine during this time, but Chlorine was low. CYA came up only a little, so again I added some (a little less than what the calculator suggested because I use tri-chlor for chlorine). After several days, CYA up to around 45 - good, but FC barely registering, maybe around 1. Was adding 12% bleach (OK, liquid shock, but I don't want to use "shock" as a noun. Just more convenient than 6% bleach), a gallon every other day.
Ordered and received new reagents for the TF-100 kit.
The pool looks and feels great - very clear! But I cannot seem to get the FC up? And seems like the CC is a little high?
A couple of other observations. The weeks right after opening, we got killed with pollen. The cars looked yellow, patio furniture was a mess,
and there was a fair amount floating on the water. Also I use a solar cover and it was on (and off only for vacuuming) for maybe 10 days
straight. I keep the cover on, even during the day this time of year to get the water up to temp as quickly as I can, and of course it stays on
overnight. So the sun isn't zapping the chlorine.
Is this normal, the chlorine is just being consumed by the pollen and ?? Just keep adding bleach? What else should I (not) be doing?