Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me too?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    32

    Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me too?

    All,
    Apologies if this post sounds a lot like a few others this year, but while the symptoms may be the same, the cause (and the cure?) might be different.

    Opened the pool a few weeks ago and after the usual cleanup, the water looked good. First, the CYA was around 20, so I added some stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer, ran the pump 24/7 for about a week, did not backwash. PH was fine during this time, but Chlorine was low. CYA came up only a little, so again I added some (a little less than what the calculator suggested because I use tri-chlor for chlorine). After several days, CYA up to around 45 - good, but FC barely registering, maybe around 1. Was adding 12% bleach (OK, liquid shock, but I don't want to use "shock" as a noun. Just more convenient than 6% bleach), a gallon every other day.

    Ordered and received new reagents for the TF-100 kit.
    Today's results:
    FC: 1
    CC: 1
    TC: 2
    ph: 7.2
    TA: 110
    CH: 110
    CYA: 45

    The pool looks and feels great - very clear! But I cannot seem to get the FC up? And seems like the CC is a little high?

    A couple of other observations. The weeks right after opening, we got killed with pollen. The cars looked yellow, patio furniture was a mess,
    and there was a fair amount floating on the water. Also I use a solar cover and it was on (and off only for vacuuming) for maybe 10 days
    straight. I keep the cover on, even during the day this time of year to get the water up to temp as quickly as I can, and of course it stays on
    overnight. So the sun isn't zapping the chlorine.

    Is this normal, the chlorine is just being consumed by the pollen and ?? Just keep adding bleach? What else should I (not) be doing?

    TIA,
    22,000 Gal IG Vinyl
    Sta-rite SD75 DE filter
    Solar Cover

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    5,061

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    CC is above 0.5. You need to shock your pool.

  3. Back To Top    #3
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    You need more chlorine. You probably had some ammonia in the water, and the chlorine has been getting used up getting rid of it. Since the FC level isn't going all the way to zero right away, it seems like you are making good progress, but there is still a little ways to go yet. The correct thing to do is to shock the pool, see the instructions in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    32

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    Thanks for the suggestion of probable cause and also how to treat it. I just checked the site for the TF test kits, and didn't see anything for ammonia but a wider search mentioned test kits available at a pet store? In general is there a recommendation or two for ammonia test kits?
    22,000 Gal IG Vinyl
    Sta-rite SD75 DE filter
    Solar Cover

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    Regardless of the cause, shocking is the cure.

    So, I suggest you just save the $ for the kit and start shocking w/bleach/liquid chlorine.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    32

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Regardless of the cause, shocking is the cure.

    So, I suggest you just save the $ for the kit and start shocking w/bleach/liquid chlorine.
    I neglected to mention - I did in fact start shocking the pool last night. Was just trying to be complete. Thanks!
    22,000 Gal IG Vinyl
    Sta-rite SD75 DE filter
    Solar Cover

  7. Back To Top    #7
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    Ammonia tests are available for aquariums. Having a test result will give you an idea of just how much chlorine you are going to need, but is hardly essential. What you need to do is the same if you know the ammonia level or not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    I stretched a cheap knee-high stocking over my skimmer basket. It catches a lot of that surface cräp like pollen. Then its easy to get rid of it manually. We had a windy day the other day, but I had a fresh nylon in there. I checked the next day, surface was coated, and there was a wad of stuff the size of my fist in the toe. You might consider that. Everything you remove manually means the chlorine doesn't have to work on it.

    And yes, you need to keep adding bleach like everyone else.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Exton, PA
    Posts
    248

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    Being right up the road from you, I can attest to what you are saying. Conditions are definitely different than last year. We are getting some pollen and veru unseasonal heat.

    I have used the nylons, but found the skimmer socks so darn cheap that I just grabbed a couple packs. Both do the job, but I find the nylons tear easier and it's always at the worst time. The socks are more durable and both catch A LOT of junk.

    Don't forget, it has been ridiculously hot as well so far. The sun might not be "zapping" your chlorine, but if I'm not mistaken the high 80s, low 90s humid weather we've had this week is tough on FC, especially since bad things really want to grow with that kind of heat and FC has to fight them. I want to try out my new solar cover, but the water this morning was 81 degrees!! If I had the cover on overnight, it probably would have boiled over!!

    My FC had been "OK", but then three kids were swimming for a few hours yesterday. I didn't think anything of it, but when I checked my FC at 5PM, it was "0". I was surprised. I added bleach and will check it again today. I also added the large, The Step, wedding cake steps. I should have drilled extra holes in them and even marked them for it. But I thought I was see how the circulation was at first. And it aint great, which means dirt will trap under there. I need to remove them at some point and drill the extra holes. Until then, I might just run a hose in there to "push" the dirt out.
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer (6/17)
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Raypak 206A 200K, BTU gas (6/17)

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    32

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    All good points, and I've had my cover off the last couple days - my water is at 82. And the cover is staying off since
    we have a threat of hail - I've had to replace two covers before their time due to hail damage. I'll give the socks a try.

    Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by joseywales
    Being right up the road from you, I can attest to what you are saying. Conditions are definitely different than last year. We are getting some pollen and veru unseasonal heat.

    I have used the nylons, but found the skimmer socks so darn cheap that I just grabbed a couple packs. Both do the job, but I find the nylons tear easier and it's always at the worst time. The socks are more durable and both catch A LOT of junk.

    Don't forget, it has been ridiculously hot as well so far. The sun might not be "zapping" your chlorine, but if I'm not mistaken the high 80s, low 90s humid weather we've had this week is tough on FC, especially since bad things really want to grow with that kind of heat and FC has to fight them. I want to try out my new solar cover, but the water this morning was 81 degrees!! If I had the cover on overnight, it probably would have boiled over!!

    My FC had been "OK", but then three kids were swimming for a few hours yesterday. I didn't think anything of it, but when I checked my FC at 5PM, it was "0". I was surprised. I added bleach and will check it again today. I also added the large, The Step, wedding cake steps. I should have drilled extra holes in them and even marked them for it. But I thought I was see how the circulation was at first. And it aint great, which means dirt will trap under there. I need to remove them at some point and drill the extra holes. Until then, I might just run a hose in there to "push" the dirt out.
    22,000 Gal IG Vinyl
    Sta-rite SD75 DE filter
    Solar Cover

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Exton, PA
    Posts
    248

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    Wait til you see how green the sock gets!!!
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer (6/17)
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Raypak 206A 200K, BTU gas (6/17)

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    32

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    On the right track....added approx 200 oz. of 12% liquid chlorine on Tuesday night. Wednesday evening's reading for CC was .5, FC was 2 - after full day exposure to sun.

    Thanks for the support and help!
    22,000 Gal IG Vinyl
    Sta-rite SD75 DE filter
    Solar Cover

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    Sounds good
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Exton, PA
    Posts
    248

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    Wow! Last year I used about 24 jugs for the season. Since May 1, I've used at leasat 5, after my initial "shock" of the pool. CYA was zippo, so I'm dealing with that as well, but I just don't recall it ever being this hard to get er up to snuff.
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer (6/17)
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Raypak 206A 200K, BTU gas (6/17)

  15. Back To Top    #15
    dmanb2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,728

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny John
    On the right track....added approx 200 oz. of 12% liquid chlorine on Tuesday night. Wednesday evening's reading for CC was .5, FC was 2 - after full day exposure to sun.

    Thanks for the support and help!
    Are you confirming that you are getting up to shock FC levels? If I'm not mistaken you said your CYA is around 45. If so your shock level is around 14-16ppm FC. 200oz of 12% bleach would have only raised your FC by 10ppm. After adding bleach you need to confirm you are at shock level to speed things along and then pass the overnight FC loss test.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

    Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Exton, PA
    Posts
    248

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    OK. I'm not certain who's a bigger idiot, me or the guy who made the cap to the R-0003 the same yellow color as the R-0600!!!!!!

    I just dumped another 160oz of bleach into a pool that was probably already off the charts with chlorine. My daily tester of R-0600 ran out and I opened up, what I thought, was another bottle of R-0600. Turns out, it was R-0003. I didn't realize until just now, when I couldn't find my R-0003. I thought the new wedding cake steps I put in were collected algae or something. i just couldn't understand why there was no chlorine. I tested it when i got home, it was low. Added about 50oz. after an hour, the kids went swimming and Bham! down to almost nill. WTH! I had tools in hand to take out the steps and look for algae. I opted to go for the overnight drop test instead.

    I don't even want to think what the level is, as I was going to test for chlorine drop overnight.

    I'm headed down stairs for a can of spray paint, to change the color of the lid. They need to make these bottles for folks who are 40+.
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer (6/17)
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Raypak 206A 200K, BTU gas (6/17)

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    32

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    That's a good point, I didn't confirm. I'll visit the calculator and get to the shock level and will go find the article about the overnight FC test.



    Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny John
    On the right track....added approx 200 oz. of 12% liquid chlorine on Tuesday night. Wednesday evening's reading for CC was .5, FC was 2 - after full day exposure to sun.

    Thanks for the support and help!
    Are you confirming that you are getting up to shock FC levels? If I'm not mistaken you said your CYA is around 45. If so your shock level is around 14-16ppm FC. 200oz of 12% bleach would have only raised your FC by 10ppm. After adding bleach you need to confirm you are at shock level to speed things along and then pass the overnight FC loss test.
    22,000 Gal IG Vinyl
    Sta-rite SD75 DE filter
    Solar Cover

  18. Back To Top    #18
    Guest

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    If it's any consolation, I'm not that far from you and have also been adding tons of bleach this year.

    I feel like I've been through 3 separate openings -- there was the original one where I got the pool looking good within 24 hours. I backwashed the filter and ended up with a pump problem as well as an electric problem and the pool turned green once again. Got that all cleared up and a few days later, had 2 days of high winds that dumped tons of junk in the pool : leaves, pine needles, pollen, etc. Water wasn't filtering properly after that and got green again, so broke the filter down yesterday and cleaned it (it really wasn't bad at all but very green, no acid needed, just soaked in TSP). Got it running again, and got the water good and clear but there was still aglae and pollen on the sidewalls so dumped in lots of bleach and hope that it will be back to normal before the weather gets hot again. Right now, pump's on until I'm happy with it -- it's clear again after brushing and vacuuming.

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    32

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    OK, so perhaps a bit of a breakthough, or at least understanding.

    I went back and re-read the "shocking" instructions and realized I wasn't really following them.
    While I was using the calculator to determine how much bleach to use, I was not checking
    several times a day. I added the calculated amount, and let it go for more than a day - a carryover from the old
    days of shocking.

    So around 5 PM today I added approximately 300oz. of 12% to get from around 1 FC to around 15 FC. After 90 minutes or so,
    I tested FC again, and it was around 7. Added approximately 170 oz. to raise the FC level again, and after 90 minutes, I'm around
    FC 15, CC, well, there's still a touch of pink but goes away on the first drop. Won't be able to test again until tomorrow AM.

    I will say two things. The water looks a touch cloudier than it did mid-afternoon, though that could be due to brushing. And two, I
    do detect a hint of chlorine on the nose (but some will say that this is likely CC, not chlorine).

    Getting there!
    22,000 Gal IG Vinyl
    Sta-rite SD75 DE filter
    Solar Cover

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    32

    Re: Seems to be a lot of "keep adding bleach" this year-me t

    Hang in there, Shorelover! The last couple weeks has been nasty. More pollen that I've seen before, my car was soooo covered in pollen I was
    embarrassed to be seen it it!

    At least we have a couple full months to look forward to - and with the forecast for the next few days being in 90's to 100, I know
    I'll be looking forward to using the pool!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shorelover
    If it's any consolation, I'm not that far from you and have also been adding tons of bleach this year.

    I feel like I've been through 3 separate openings -- there was the original one where I got the pool looking good within 24 hours. I backwashed the filter and ended up with a pump problem as well as an electric problem and the pool turned green once again. Got that all cleared up and a few days later, had 2 days of high winds that dumped tons of junk in the pool : leaves, pine needles, pollen, etc. Water wasn't filtering properly after that and got green again, so broke the filter down yesterday and cleaned it (it really wasn't bad at all but very green, no acid needed, just soaked in TSP). Got it running again, and got the water good and clear but there was still aglae and pollen on the sidewalls so dumped in lots of bleach and hope that it will be back to normal before the weather gets hot again. Right now, pump's on until I'm happy with it -- it's clear again after brushing and vacuuming.
    22,000 Gal IG Vinyl
    Sta-rite SD75 DE filter
    Solar Cover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •