New To Me Pool...What Do All These Pipes Do?

Nov 1, 2010
Eastern WA
Hi all...New pool owner here with questions. I called City Hall today to see if there was any info on record of when my pool was built. Nope. :rant:

Maybe someone here could help with some basics:
House built in 79.
Tagelus filter dated 2004.
Gunite in-ground pool 16' X 40'-ish.

Pump/Filter station.
What does the little pipe that elbows and is plugged do?
pumpk.jpg

My skimmers (2) have 2 holes each and the holes furthest from the pool have suction to the filter...What do the other holes do?
There is a plugged hole next to the ladder in the deep end...It seems to do nothing. At first when I removed it today there was some suction (Pump off) for about 30 sec. I turned the pump back on and nothing happened.
My drain has no suction.
There is a hole about 18" below the shallow end skimmer that is open and does nothing.
poolfh.jpg

Hi, from what I understand, the 2 hole skimmers may also be connected to the main drain. How you would switch to main drain I couldn't say. The hole under the skimmer also has to do with main drain function. The pipe to nowhere may have been a dedicated line for a booster pump at one time. It probably goes to the plugged hole by the ladder, which is where a cleaner would connect.

As for your signature, witty comments are appreciated, but the main purpose is to list your pool stats and equipment in case we need the info to answer any future questions.

I'm fairly sure that the opening below the lower skimmer is connected to the second hole in the lower skimmer, and the drain is connected to the second hole in the upper skimmer.

The extra pipe very likely goes to the 1 1/2" threaded plug, and was used for a booster pump to power a pool cleaner.

carlscan26 said:
Are there any valves hidden in the landscaping around the pool? Or nearby to the equipment pad?
No
JasonLion said:
The extra pipe very likely goes to the 1 1/2" threaded plug, and was used for a booster pump to power a pool cleaner.
The pool came with 2 "Kreepy Kraulys". I tried one hooked to the skimmer inlet and it didn't work...Makes sense now.

Maybe there was a booster at one time...Hence the closed wiring boxes next to the pipe.
20110531165138.jpg

Here's the actual pool...I just discovered yesterday that I've been "recirculating" vs "Filtering" my pool for 3 weeks (no valve sticker). Don't you just love newbies.
Hope to have it cleared up soon...Can't see the bottom.
20110531165247.jpg

You might be able to get a suction cleaner like a kreepy krawly to work via a skimmer...probably the lower skimmer with the opening below it, but you'll need a diverter plate thingamajiggie and may also need to block off the other skimmer since you don't have a valve to control where the pump is drawing from.

If you haven't already, then read up on shocking in pool school and it'll be sparkling in no time. You have a good test kit already right?

carlscan26 said:
You might be able to get a suction cleaner like a kreepy krawly to work via a skimmer...probably the lower skimmer with the opening below it, but you'll need a diverter plate thingamajiggie and may also need to block off the other skimmer since you don't have a valve to control where the pump is drawing from.

If you haven't already, then read up on shocking in pool school and it'll be sparkling in no time. You have a good test kit already right?
I got my KK to work last nite after posting my last response. Mine works via the skimmer and yes I had to block off the other skimmer...The KK is awesome. As for the "shocking" I think I did it right but I'll review...Still relying on the pool store 1 mile from me for the chemicals but I'll get a test kit son...Thanx!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.