Intex pool - from chlorine to salt water??!!

May 31, 2011
We have an 18' circular intex metal frame pool, 48" deep. Over the weekend we saw an option at BJ's to change the pool from chlorine to salt water. We have a friend with a salt water pool (in ground) and the kids loved it during a visit last summer, so this is attractive. The new system is a "stand beside" the existing filter/pump system. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any issues with changing over from chlorine to salt water? The new salt water add-on was about $170 (and I can't find it on BJ's online, but it was specifically said for intex pools).

Any info would be greatful . . . would the change effect the liner? what kind of cost would I be looking at vs. Chlorine (where I have to buy the 3" tablets and shock).

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP :wave:

A saltwater pool is a chlorine pool...you use the saltwater generator and electrical current to create chlorine from the salt in your water. I have on on my pool and love it for the convienience, but in the end it's just a slightly salty chlorine pool where the chlorine dosing is done automatically by the SWG.

Take a read through pool school...link in my sig.

Robbie - we were trying to get away from the chlorine, but doesn't look possible. I am truly a newbie to this, so I'm taking in all info! The attractiveness to salt water is less eye irritation, less harsh on hair, suits and skin.

dmanb2b - thanks for the welcome! I'll read on!

Thanks!!!!

You are very welcome. Irritated eyes are a sign that your water chemistry is off and likely caused by combined chloramines. A chlorine pool, saltwater or not should not have a strong chlorine odor, rather a clean sheets type aroma. If you have a strong chlorine odor, it may be time to shock the pool.

Do read through pool school and although it may be costly a good test kit such as the TF100 from TFtestkits.net or the Taylor k2006 will put your back in control of the pool, and save money in the long run. My 4 kids and wife will vouch for it :goodjob:

dbmanb2b is correct! You should not have irritated eyes or problems with hair, suits, or skin. If you have these issues, my guess you have the following problems:
1. overchlorination
2. pH is off

As stated, get a good test kit and do all your chems yourself. Be good to your pool and it will be good to you! Once you are balanced you won't have any of those symptoms, and it WILL NOT SMELL of bleach either!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.