Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you use pool during conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you use pool during conversion

I'm a fed up Baqucil user who vowed at the end of last summer to switch if I couldn't get my water to change from the pea green color it was most of last year (and half of the summer before). Opened up the pool this year and due to being a bit anxious I decided to try Baq one more time. What a mistake!! Same old green color.

Anyhow, planning on starting the conversion soon, but I have a question that I can't seem to find any answers on. Can you use the pool during the conversion, is the water safe? I have a 3.5 year old son who seems to be part fish and would not be too happy if he couldn't swim. Also I know it varies, but is there any estimate as to how long the process actually takes? I'd love to have my pool blue again by 4th of July.

And lastly am I reading the conversion instructions correctly when all I need to start is just a ton of chlorine and a really good test kit? And some new sand of course, once conversion is done.

Thanks for any advice!
    13500 gal 15x30 oval AG, Hayward DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Can you use pool during conversion

You can't use the pool during the process. And once you see it start you really won't want to.

Lots and lots of bleach! You need the test kit when you start the process so order it now.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Can you use pool during conversion

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you are reading correctly: lots of chlorine, a good test kit, and new sand. There might be a little adjusting of the PH as well, but that is incidental.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School