How Do I fix Skimmer/Drain Suction Problems?

May 18, 2011
Herndon, VA
Hi Everyone,
I am a new pool owner. I have successfully opened my pool and cleaned up what used to be a green swamp and made it into a nice clear inviting pool. Yesterday was my first time in the pool and decided I would go around to all of the skimmers and drains and check out their suction. I have 2 surface skimmers, 1 spa drain and 2 main pool drains (one in the shallow end one in the deep end.
Here's what I found:
Skimmer furthest from the pump had decent suction.
Skimmer closest to the pump had about half the suction of the other skimmer.
Spa drain (closest drain to the pump) had very good suction, the best out off all of the skimmers/drains.
Shallow end drain had decent suction after I forced some water down there with a hose.
Deep end drain had no suction even after trying to clear pipe with hose water.

In an ideal world I'd think that all of the skimmers/drains should have good suction. How should I go about evening out or fixing suction problems?

Thanks for any feedback.

You either need valves for each or diverters in each skimmer. Or both. Take some pics of the equipment and post them as we might be able to give some advice.

It's not unusual to not feel much suction, if any, at the main drain.

Just to note. The main drain is specifically designed not to create a large suction for safety reasons. But if you were to bring, say, some pH dye down there and squeeze by the drain, you'd see how fast it is sucking it in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.