DE filter problems

May 31, 2011
Hello everyone,

I bought by house last year in June and the previous home owner opened the pool for me. It's an Anthony&Sullivan pool and the filter is also Anthony&Sullivan DE. Pool is about 32,000 gallons. The previous home owner told me to backwash the filter if it ever reaches 8 pounds above normal pressure (22 pounds). In a 2 month span the pressure only increased about 4 pounds and everything worked great. I had a company winterize the pool (as I cannot pump the water out of the lines).

Over the weekend I opened the pool, while taking the cover off most of the leaves and debris fell into the pool from the cover. I didn't know how to start/operate a DE filter so I went to Anthony&Sullivan, the guy told me to fill the pump with water, start it and put 6 pounds of DE into the skimmer. Once the pressure goes up 8 pounds, I have to backwash, then add 6 pounds of DE again. He told me to put shock and aglecide. I did exactly that. Starting pressure 22 pounds. The pump ran about 2 hours before the pressure went up 8 pounds. I backwashed (pressure back to 22 pounds), added 6 pounds DE, then again 2 hours pressure went up 8 pounds. This time I took the filter apart and hosed all of the filters off to make sure everything was clean. Put everything back together, started (22 pounds) put 6 pounds DE, 4 hours late, pressure went up to 8 pounds (this was about 10pm). I then backwashed again (22 pounds), added 6 pounds DE and left the filter running overnight. In the morning (Memorial Day) the water was still dirty and the pressure was up 8 pounds again. This time I ran out of DE so I just shut the system down.

My question, is this normal for me to constantly have to backwash every few hours? If it is, is it because of all of the leaves and debris that came off the cover?

I have maintaned my Dad's pool many years (he has a regular filter not sand or DE) and we would take the filter apart twice a season to clean out the filter grids. The wholle backwashing thing is really annoying if I have to do it every few hours. I read that DE is the most efficient filter, if so I am really having a hard time believing this. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Also, how do I clean all of the leaves and debris that's in the pool now? I got probably 70% out with the manuel skimmer. Can I just vacuum the rest?? I also have a Polaris sport. Can I use that for the leaves and debris (the guy at Anthony&Sullivan said that the polaris is only to be used to maintain a clean pool clean).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

This is totally normally when the pool is dirty. DE filters will filter your water down to 3 microns. This means they filter out a lot more gunk! I was backwashing mine every 2 hours all weekend. Now the pool is mostly clear and I am having to do it about every 18 hours. Eventually when the pool is clear I will only need to backwash it once or twice for the rest of the summer.

As for the leaves I would use a leaf net on your skimmer pole. Try to get as much out as possible manually.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.