Jun 27, 2009
davenport,iowa
sorry this question may have be asked before but search tab isnt working,i just opened my pool yesterday and my ph is really low @ 6.9 so i put in enough chlorine to bring it up to 15 fc to shock and put in about 1 lb of cya, what else should i do? get some borax in it? should i just run filter 24/7 wait for clearing then stay on shocking until overnight fc loss is complete? any info would be great....mike

fc 1.0
cc 0.0
ph 6.8-7.0
cya 10 or lower

I tested this morning before i added chlorine, and was running late so i didnt test for ch or cya but i added cya 2 days ago it should be around 40-50 range when it settles in sytem.How long should i wait to backwash the filter? I got my wife going to get some borax today and she will add it today...What do i want my ideal target ph level to be at again?

fc 9.5
cc 0.5
ph 6.9
ta 110

What is your filter's operating pressure after a backwash? Add 8 or so psi to that, and that's when you backwash. You can go up to 10 psi if you've recently added CYA and don't want to wash it back out just yet.

It sounds too late, but I wouldn't add any more CYA until after you complete the shock process.

I keep my pH around 7.6, but 7.5 to 7.8 range is fine.

Get the PH up to at least 7.2 soon. I wouldn't raise it much above that, as it will tend to drift up to where it ought to be on it's own.

I would raise CYA up to between 30 and 50 now, or soon. With CYA very low, you loose all of your chlorine to sunlight each day, which makes maintaining an FC level much more difficult.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.