Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: low ph

1. Back To Top    #1

low ph

sorry this question may have be asked before but search tab isnt working,i just opened my pool yesterday and my ph is really low @ 6.9 so i put in enough chlorine to bring it up to 15 fc to shock and put in about 1 lb of cya, what else should i do? get some borax in it? should i just run filter 24/7 wait for clearing then stay on shocking until overnight fc loss is complete? any info would be great....mike

fc 1.0
    cc 0.0
    ph 6.8-7.0
    cya 10 or lower
    18ft 52in deep doughboy 8000 gallons
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    tk-2006 test kit that rocks!
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: low ph

Yes, use borax and get your pH around 7.4 ish ASAP.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a TA test result?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

jason i ran out of daylight light last night to do ta test, i will do as soon as i get home form work and will post full results then thank you.....
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac

5. Back To Top    #5

I tested this morning before i added chlorine, and was running late so i didnt test for ch or cya but i added cya 2 days ago it should be around 40-50 range when it settles in sytem.How long should i wait to backwash the filter? I got my wife going to get some borax today and she will add it today...What do i want my ideal target ph level to be at again?

fc 9.5
    cc 0.5
    ph 6.9
    ta 110
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac

6. Back To Top    #6

What is your filter's operating pressure after a backwash? Add 8 or so psi to that, and that's when you backwash. You can go up to 10 psi if you've recently added CYA and don't want to wash it back out just yet.

It sounds too late, but I wouldn't add any more CYA until after you complete the shock process.

I keep my pH around 7.6, but 7.5 to 7.8 range is fine.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Get the PH up to at least 7.2 soon. I wouldn't raise it much above that, as it will tend to drift up to where it ought to be on it's own.

I would raise CYA up to between 30 and 50 now, or soon. With CYA very low, you loose all of your chlorine to sunlight each day, which makes maintaining an FC level much more difficult.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I edited my post for clarity, I meant to say "any more CYA" since he said he should be around 40 now. It'll take some time for you to know for sure, and you don't want to overshoot it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!