Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner...

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner...

I don't know if this is the right section for this but..

I just bought a house that came with a fairly large pool/sp. Never had a pool before but I got an excellent deal on the house but I'm finding the pool a lot of work, lol :P I didn't put much thought into the pool but for the last 3 days I've been working turning it from a nasty green pool to a clean pool and I think I'm doing alright. Someone's been helping me a little and it's a cloudy blue now so that's good I guess. The whole thing was a mess (took a day or two to get the pump running and figuring out how to work everything... it was a short sale so I like got NO info on the pool at all aside from, "it works". Luckily, my dad knew someone with a similar pool filter/system. Anyway... headache but should be alright and it's starting to look nice so I'm happy.

Anyway... the part I'm starting to become concerned about is kids. I don't have any kids myself. I don't live in the house right now, I stop by everyday but currently just working on fixing it up. But I've noticed there are kids EVERYWHERE in the neighborhood. Maybe I'm starting to become a little paranoid but... what do I need to do to keep my self from getting in trouble if something happens? I would feel absolutely terrible but I don't wanna have to worry about getting in trouble for a kid or some idiot sneaking in for a swim and getting hurt/killed.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New Pool Owner...

Welcome to TFP!

A fence with a locked gate is pretty mandatory. Beyond that there isn't a whole lot you can do. Some people use motion sensing alarms, but they tend to have false positives and annoy the neighbors.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

Re: New Pool Owner...

My dogs wouldn't let kids into my yard. One of them hates kids. Seems to be a pretty good deterrent for me.

My yard has a 4' chain link fence (luckily we can't see it because I hate the appearance). In other words, kids could get into my yard very easily, not counting the dogs of course. One gate is locked, one has some sort of a gate I assume is a requirement if you have a pool. It's not locking, but it is self-closing and has a magnetic latch, and the release is high enough and complex enough that a small child would not be able to open it.

My recommendation is talk to your insurance company and see what they require. Mine said what I have is enough, but I've heard of others that have higher requirements.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!