This is my second year running this pool. The previous owner used chlorine, but we converted it to baquacil last year. I'm going to switch back to chlorine this year and use the BBB method. I ordered the TF100 test kit and it will be arriving on Friday. Yesterday I removed the cover and hooked everything up and I have the filter running. I won't have a good test until the kit arrives on Friday so I haven't added any chemicals. Without knowing my current levels, I'm not sure what I should do until Friday, if anything. I lowered the water last year when I closed it and it was overflowing from snow melt and rain when I took the cover off. If I had to guess, I would say that about 1/3 of the water in the pool is from rain/snow. Also, I added quite a bit of water last year due to a leak. The pool looks pretty good but it is slightly cloudy. I can see the bottom of the 8 ft deep end without a problem, but it isn't clear. The bottom has a lot of stuff on it and I haven't vacuumed it.
Here is my current plan and I'm just looking for advice from someone more experienced.
First, I planned to take a water sample to the pool store to have tested for copper to make sure I don't have too much in there. If there is too much, I plan to drain and add enough new water to lower it sufficiently. Once the test kit arrives on Friday, I planned to run a test and get my TA/PH balanced and make sure I have sufficient CH for the plaster. Then I'll get my chlorine up to shock level and keep it there until it holds overnight. At that point I'll drop the chlorine to normal levels and make sure everything else is balanced. Throughout the process I'll post test results.
A few questions:
While I'm at the pool store, should I have them test my levels? It would only give me a starting point and I won't have a way to retest without going to the pool store again.
When should I worry about CYA? There may be some level of it there since the pool used to be a chlorine pool. Obviously if it's too high, I need to lower it right away, but if it's too low or there is none, when do I add it? Do I add it right away or should I wait until my shock level holds overnight?
Should I hold off on all the chemicals until I can get a good test with my kit on Friday? I just don't want to set myself up for problems by neglecting it this week. Should I try to get some chlorine in there or is it a total waste until I can get test results?
Should I vacuum at this point or wait until Friday? I don't want to stir up any nasty stuff on the bottom that will just cause problems without properly balanced chemicals.
I hope that I included everything I needed to get advice - let me know if I left anything out. I'll repost on Friday or Saturday once I get some test results. Thanks.