Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing sand from a sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing sand from a sand filter

What is the quickest way to remove 250lbs of sand from a sand filter and how long would it take?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing sand from a sand filter

ShopVac - maybe a half hour to an hour. Rental stores can supply you with a "good" one if needed.
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

Are you just changing sand, or putting in a new filter? When I put in my new filter, I took a sawzall to the old filter, cut the top off and shoveled out the sand.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I just did mine this past weekend, I drained the water out first. Disconnected the hoses and valve and just tipped the entire filter over on it's side. Simply scopped the sand out from there. Was even faster than using a shop vac which I had done previously. Just be careful with the plastic tubes inside when you flip it over. Since mine is under a fairly low deck I used a bucket to refill the filter as it was easier than being bent over with a 50lb bag of sand.
    24 foot ABG
    Jacuzzi 192 Sand Filter (200 lbs)
    1 HP motor