Hickory Nut stains

Oct 3, 2007
How to remove Hickory Nut stains or even how to easily remove these pesky nuts.. we get 100s of them per day dropping from a giant tree above the pool. They get these circular brown patches on the pool vinyl if left undetected.

Have you tried a very large chain saw?? :lol:

I get white oak acorns and subsequent staining if they're allowed to sit for very long. The also stop up my auto-vac. I'm not sure if Hickory stains or worse or better than white oak but, if I get to mine in a day or so, there seems to be little problem.

For the ones that get in over the winter and sit on the bottom, the stains do not come off quickly or easily but I have found if I just balance my pool water and ignore them, the stains are gone within a month.

Again, Hickory may act completely different than Oak but, while extremely anoying, the Oak seems to cause no permanent harm.

Organic stains will go away over time, as duraleigh said. If you are in a hurry you can bring the FC up to shock level for a couple of days and that should take care of it. If there are only one or two small stains you can try rubbing them gently with a trichlor tablet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.