Not enough room to refill sand filter to recomended weight

Onslow

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
Kentucky
I have a Jacuzzi "Laser" filter which I've emptied sand and am refilling. I filled the tank up halfway with water and began putting in one of four 50 lb bags as the recommended weight for my 19L model is 200 lbs. I've finished the third bag and honestly I'm not sure how I'm going to be able put the valve assembly back on if I add the fourth bag. Are there any absolute requirements for filling these things or does the sand "settle" after awhile?

Re: Not enough room to refill sand filter to recomended weig

You don't want the sand above the point where the filter body starts to narrow. This way you have the largest possible filter area. It won't settle.

Are you sure it's a 200lb filter? The reason I ask is because I just bought a new Sand Filter. In doing my homework, all of the current 18-19" filters seem to be 150 pounders while the 21 and 22" filters are the 200 pound filters.

I would say based on a 19" tank, 150 pounds is probably the right amount.

The only documentation I have is an old pdf I downloaded (sand fill on page 5 of attached) and some rough details on the filter itself (came with house). The sand is almost at the curve-in point so I think I'll stop where I'm at...hope I can return the fourth bag!

Attachments

• Jacuzzi_Filter_LS_page_5.pdf
    56.1 KB · Views: 10

I noticed that in your signature line you have "Jacuzzi 190L" for your filter. I have the exact same model as you do. If I remember correctly, I could only get about 1/2 of the 4th 50lb bag into the filter. When turned on, it put probably about 3/4 of the 1/2 bag into the pool and onto the ground when I back washed it.

I am no pool expert by any means, but IMO 150lbs sounds about right.

Ironically that's what I just got done doing (putting half of the fourth bag after checking sand level against inward curvature).

My next delimma: Aparently some sand settled under the standpipe causing about a quarter inch gap between the multi-port and the tank! The filter is in a very PITA location underneath the pool deck and I'm in no mood to get it all out and redo.

Yet I must do something. I have a pool full of uncirculating water now that I'm hurling all sorts of bleach into.

PachinkoPlayer: Did your filter come with a standpipe centering cover/disk to use while putting the sand in? I could not find the one mentioned in my manual. I just rubber-banded a piece of grocery bag plastic over the standpipe hole to keep sand from going in it. I was able to keep it on center okay but all it took was a very small amount of sand to cause this problem.

I think tomorrow I'm going to go find a quarter inch-thick piece of rubber that I can cut into a gasket between the multi-port and the tank so I can tighten the bolts down without shattering the standpipe (which I've seen happen - very ugly). It's either that or try to uniformly cut a quarter inch round section of the standpipe off. I'm not sure either is a good idea but...

Yes it did. Isn't there a dip/shallow hole in the bottom of the filter that you seat the stand pipe in? The only thing I can think of is while you were pouring the sand in, someone pulled on the the stand pipe causing it to raise some what.

Also, do you have everything put on the multi port valve part on correctly? if you have the two black pieces on backwards, that will create a gap. Also, make sure the multi port valve is lining up with your stand pipe. When I put mine back on today, it wasn't lined up with my multi port and created about an 1/2 inch gap, I took it off and lucked out, when I put it back on, it seated and all was well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

All...

Would RTV Silicone seal (& hold) this gap between the multi-port and the filter tank (I have the bolts)?

DSCF1886a.jpg

What I'd try is to run a water hose in the bottom of the sand while gently pressing down on the center tube. that may loosen it enough to settle the center tube down a little. I wouldn't try and patch that space with anything.

Thanks all for the tips. Here's what happened today:

The hose moved some sand around, not really enough for me to finagle the standpipe lower. So instead I took a long piece of wood and used it to cushion some light but firm hammer blows downward (gasp!). After doing this awhile the standpipe recessed enough for me to properly place the multi-port on it.

Some of the bolt holes (which do not have open bottoms) had some sand in them preventing the bolts from going in all the way so I took the bolts out for the holes to dry tonight (it has gotten dark and this filter is in the most aggravating under-deck location).

I used to look at new filters and think how cheap an approach manufacturers are taking by just putting a ring clamp secured by a single bolt. Today, in the 90+ degree weather that would have been quite welcome. The bolts on this thing are in the worse locations to access and...never mind.

So I'm on my way. Hopefully I did not break any part of the standpipe or laterals (all PVC glued due to an issue last year which I've documented in another post). I'm wore out and going to bed.

kincer said:
Some of the bolt holes (which do not have open bottoms) had some sand in them preventing the bolts from going in all the way so I took the bolts out for the holes to dry tonight (it has gotten dark and this filter is in the most aggravating under-deck location).

blow compressed air in there?

Apparently the spider gasket is fused onto the diverter? Guy at the pool store tried to sell me the diverter/gasket alone for $40. Apparently a total rebuild kit, which includes a gasket he tried to sell for $13, along with a spring, replacement bolts/nuts (all mine were rusted and had to be Liquid Wrenched off) and a slew of other fittings for $50 online including shipping.

I think I'll order the rebuild kit.

Another shop with a "Jacuzzi" sign hanging up in his window said he didn't do Jacuzzi items unless it was a spa sale. :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.