Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward EC40 DE Filter questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward EC40 DE Filter questions

Hi everyone This is the first time using this filter, and I'm having nothing but trouble with it, but I'm not convinced that it's not me I started the filter and loaded the pool with chlorine, and it turned the pool to a cloudy light greenish/blue. The filter is pumping and seems to be 'working', but I can't get the pool clear. Also, when I try to vacuum the water coming back through is DIRTY I have bumped and replaced the DE and it does the same thing even after doing this immediately after the cleaning. I have done a little research and have read about cleaning the 'fingers', and have a couple of questions- 1) does this sound like it could be the answer to my problems? and 2) is there a way to do this w/o taking water out of the pool and doing the whole opening thing over? I have to be honest, this is the first time opening the pool, so I'm not overly confident with the whole filter process. However I will say that after asking questions and just reading from here last year, I am confident with the use of the BBB method, if I could just figure out this whole filter thing Thank you for any advice you have to offer!
    Lori
    Hayward S180T Sand Filter
    15 X 30 Above Ground Pool (10,600 Gallons)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward EC40 DE Filter questions

Lori,

Currently have the EC65 version, and looks like the best advice I can offer is to take it apart. See if the plates that hold the fingers are cracked(my problem), or there is a ripped finger area two. Even the rubber diaphragm that connects the plates to the lid/case assembly may have been installed incorrectly...with a leak around the edge.
    Am replacing mine, as was given a sand filter from a person who was filling in their pool. It's not too hard to take them apart. A schematic is available from Hayward, if you don't have the paper manual. Good luck.

Steve
    18' x 36' vinyl, 3' shallow - 9' deep
    Hayward Perflex E65
    Hayward Superpump.

3. Back To Top    #3

Tearing it down for a good cleaning and inspection is what's needed. If it wasn't taken down last year then it definitely needs to be done.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you for your answers. i appreciate your help
    Lori
    Hayward S180T Sand Filter
    15 X 30 Above Ground Pool (10,600 Gallons)