About to pull the trigger - Florida

mvk111

May 26, 2011
Tampa, FLorida
Just wanted to thank everyone for the great info on here. We are a couple weeks away from signing, and have learned alot while reading this board. I was able to get alot of great ideas for our in ground pool in Tampa we will have built. So far looks like we are doing salt water, krystal krete finish, heat pump, and variable speed pump, led light. My only flip flop is the De filter or cartridge, when the wife heard it was a carcinogen and needed to be backwashed in the lawn she got very concerned since we have a dog and kids. Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

Welcome to the forum :lol:

There are some other considerations probably more important when considering the type of filter you choose. Have you read the comparison article in Pool School on filters?

Just FYI. It's the dry DE dust if inhaled that can cause silicosis which increases lung cancer risk by a factor of 2-4. The risk from the small amount of wet DE getting to your discharge area is lower, but a cartridge filter is fine and is what I have. As was noted, get an oversized cartridge filter so that you do not need to clean it as often. They are a pain to clean (well, at least I think so and I only need to clean it once a season).