What to do with pump and filter?

Jun 25, 2009
Loogootee, IN
Hi folks! :wave:

I know I am going to get some grumbling from some if not all of you for the way I have things set up.

But anyways, this is going to be the last year for the intex pool. Next year we will have a new permanent pool installed. I have a Hayward power flo matrix 1hp pump hooked up to a jaccuzi 190L 200lb sand filter that I got off of ebay 2yrs ago for I believe around $100. I have had the pump plugged into a heavy duty extension cord since I bought them, obviously unplugging and putting it up in the winter.

This year the psi gauge has been going crazy. normally it runs around 14psi. this year in a matter of hours it will jump up to over 20psi! and water is just returning into the pool about the same as a garden hose. I back wash which the water isn't really that dirty and then do the rinse thing. When back in filter mode, the return has the normal pressure and the gauge runs about 14psi. Next day, same ordeal all over again.

I know I have a cracked lateral or I think I do, due to vacuuming up sand out of the bottom of the pool every few days. Sand only comes out when pump is first started.

This evening I went to put bleach in and got a funny smell. gauge was back up to almost 20psi and this time the pump was extremely warm/kinda hot. I checked the intake and it was clear of debris. Started tracking the smell and narrowed it down to the water resistant box that I have the pump cord/ extension cord in. the two are melted together and hotter than the pump was. So I ran over to the GFI to unplug it, that end of the cord was normal outdoor temperature.

I took apart the pump the best I could, the motor area smells like it got hot at one time (obviously) the propeller moves/turns freely.

I haven't looked inside the filter since I first set it up 2yrs ago. I know, Probably another strike against me.

Is it something I can fix to get through the summer?

On our new pool for next spring, we are getting a package deal. If I get a filter and pump system now, it will only shave $110 off our package price, but the new filter system alone by itself is running close to $370

The new pool system is sorta on a layaway type plan, however, when its paid for in Nov. We will be getting a 2012 model in the Spring.

What do I do?

Pumps draw a lot of power, which can melt bad electrical connections, as you have seen. You probably need a new extension cord and to clean any corrosion off the pump plug, though you might need a new pump plug as well. Really you shouldn't be using an extension cord for this very reason.

Your filter can be repaired, though it is a little bit of a project.

Thanks! now what would cause the psi to jump up rather quickly? I took the filter head? off for the first time in two years. Sand is 3 3/4in below the center pvc pipe and this is what I found. Should I have all this junk inside the filter after back washing?

sand3.jpg

sand1.jpg

sand2.jpg

Some of the junk in the filter is probably too big to backwash. I would poke a garden hose in and gently poke it around the sand. Let the water overflow and wash all that junk out the top. Then button it back up. You also may want to take the Multiport apart and inspect and replace if necessary the spider gasket. Be sure to lube it with silicone lube. As for the extension cord you probably need a bigger wire. The one you have probably cannot handle the amps that the motor is trying to draw. This is bad for the motor, the cords, and can cause a fire. It might be a good time to do some permanent wiring in anticipation of your new system.

PachinkoPlayer said:
oh I don't know. usually until the water has cleared up some. I don't think I have ever let it go for more than 30 seconds at the most.

Since when I backwash there is sand coming out, I just usually wait until the water is no longer brown or green.

Try it for 3 or 4 minutes. I suspect that's your problem.

Got a new plug and installed it on the pump cord. While I had the pump semi dissassembled, I took an air hose to it and blew all the gunk out, cob webs, dust and dirt. Put it back together, surprisingly didn't have any screws left over. lol Turned it on and she fired right up. Took John T's advice and back washed for 4min and 30secs. first min or so was discolored water, then gunk, junk, and everything else stared coming out! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

All the stuff finally stopped coming out and I had the cleanest, clearest water coming out! It seriously looked like I was using a garden hose. The water was that clean and clear!

After rinsing, I put it back on filter and no lie, the water was shooting 12ft hitting the other side of the pool wall! :shock: So I took the inlet jet/nozzle off, filled the water level back up and all is well!

Might be my imagination, but it seems as if the pump runs quieter and no clicking or clacking. And it also isn't running as warm as it did before.

Thanks to all that helped me out!

:lovetfp: :lovetfp: :lovetfp: :lovetfp:

Good deal! I usually backwash very thoroughly when I have excess water due to rain since my well water is not great as replacement water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.