I’m considering a variable speed pump, but I need to learn what else needs to be done. I’m looking for suggestions including brands of pumps, automation systems and perhaps other upgrades. Sorry this is long, but writing it all down helps me collect my thoughts.
Pool is a 1999 33 x 16 kidney IG plaster + 8x5 IG spa about 20” elevated from the pool.
The main pump spun a bearing and the backing plate is frozen to the motor flange. This would be more urgent, but I swapped my 1hp waterfall motor over to do main filtering and this buys me some time to sort out the “best” approach.
It feels like the components are quite inter-related and I'm concerned if I start with one this will snowball into a bigger job so I'd like to understand more before I start. Thanks in advance...
1) Which pump to replace 2HP SF 1.3. Currently powers pool and spa.
- Do VS pumps have an input to turn them on when near freezing? My Lars Lx400 has a low temp sensor that kicks the pump on. Can this tie into the pump directly or is this part of an automation system? It isn't clear how the pump can be managed remotely. Also the pool/spa controls are a basic “switch” that toggles between pool heat, and spa heat and this also controls the Jandy valves. I don’t recall the brand.
2) upgrade automation?
Current automation is an Aquadyne MIni-Pak with X10 to control the waterfall and the pool pump and the pool and spa dimmers. This works fine. The Pool/spa has a switch that controls the settings on the Jandy valves, and the temp is controlled directly on the heater. This is adequate and upgrading this would be a bonus, but not essential.
Which Brands? Will this work with my existing heater? Can I get by with simple (what I have now)?
3) Solar? I’m considering adding solar. How much does solar factor into the pump and automation selection? I’d love to have the solar pre-heat the spa.
4) integrate the waterfall pump or leave it separate?
The waterfall pump has dual drains on the bottom of the pool. It is powered by a 1HP pump, and we occasionally run it during swim times and parties. Can this be dual-purposed to run a pressure type pool sweep? Or, can I get rid of this pump entirely and just one one pump? More valve and plumbing madness, but one less pump would be a bonus.
5) replace the Jandy Ray-vac
2 Inch pipe to the side of the pool, currently powered by the main pump.
a) stay with a pool powered model?
Polaris 360 http://www.poolplaza.com/P-POL-20-520.html
b) Add a booster pump?
I don’t have space for a third pump. Can I dual purpose the waterfall pump? This makes the plumbing more complicated.
Perhaps this simplifies the plumbing, but I want to retain the ability to run a leaf master. Today I do this by manually moving a Jandy valve and I assume I can kick the pump up to high, move a valve and still do this.
6) Should I replace the Heater. It is used occasionally (rarely?) to heat the spa, never the pool. I’ve only had one repair on the pilot element so it has been fairly reliable.
7) Filter is the original, but has new elements. I don’t see a reason to change it. It is a 60 sf DE. Agreee / disagree?
Are there other considerations I’m not looking into?