Not sure where to start...need help!

This weekends project was to put up the pool for the kids...mission accomplished. Living in MN I think summer may have finally arrived!! i have been reading the forum for about a week now and decided to try the BBB method this year. We have had above ground pools before but always run into problems and found myself in the pool store :grrrr: This year I want to prevent that...so i turn to you all for help and support.

The pool is filling as I type this. 14x42 Intex ultra frame pool, i only have the filter it came with states system flow rate of 750/hr. Will this be good enough? I did purchase a SWCG, but after reading here I am hesitant to hook it up as it has the copper ionization. Maybe i should stick with the BBB method without the with SWCG this year and see how successful I am.

Here are my test results from my fill water:

PH=7.5
TC=0
TA= 260ppm
TH=260ppm
CYA=0

Where do I start? I put the numbers into the pool calculator, but I just don't know where to start. When I think I have a handle on it...I start to panic. I know I need to get the CYA up and bought stabilizer from Walmart, is that OK? Also the TA is high do i adjust that first?

Thanks in advance! Amy

First thing is to get chlorine and stabilizer in the pool, then you can adjust the TA. Your Walmart CYA should be fine. If you stay on top of your water chemistry the pump and filter you have should be o.k. It will likely have trouble clearing the pool if you let an algae bloom take hold.
You can disconnect the copper ion function in the SWG. Use the google search at the bottom left of this page to search for "how to disconnect copper ion for intex SWG". That should pull up a couple of threads with useful information to disconnect the copper.

Welcome to TFP :wave: IMO, the intex SWG may be too strong of a SWG for the 14' pool. I use one on a 24' pool and run it on avg between 2-3 hrs.

I think you will do just fine using bleach. The CYA you bought is also fine and you will want to add enough to get to 30 ppm and add enough bleach to maintain 3-4ppm FC. Outside of that, with high TA fill water, check your PH daily and when it rises to 7.8, lower it to 7.2 using muratic acid. That's it...don't worry about lowering TA for now, especially if you hold off on putting the SWG to use. :goodjob:

If you don't mind me asking, have you invested in a good test kit?

Also you may find this guide helpful :goodjob:

pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

Hi, Marie,

Your off to a great start.....your water is still very clear from the initial fill, isn't it?

be prepared to add some more chlorine tonight. Don't retest for CYA for at least a few days....it won't show up on the test but you are safe to assume it is active and in your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.