Coping and concrete issues... not too sure what to do

mart242

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2010
Ottawa, ON, Canada
My pool was installed in the fall of 2009 and I live in Ottawa where it gets Dang cold in the winter so frost is an issue. As expected, I had a few cracks in my concrete that appeared last year and a bit of spalling here and there, one spot was near the shed so not a big deal (wasn't broom finished, it was smooth finish in that area so I'll blame it on that) and a tiny bit of spalling elsewere but it stopped. This year however I've noticed this:

- big deep crack with a chunk that came out.

- the coping that isn't attached to the concrete anymore, in the same spot where that crack appeared.

My main concern is how do I fix that so it doesn't get any worse with water getting in there and then freezing thus expanding the crack? My pool is still under warranty until the end of summer so I want the pool builder to fix it but after the rust on the diving board fiasco with him (and the excellent idea of a bedliner spray on it to protect it), I figured that I'll obtain the proper way of fixing it and then simply telling him. I'm thinking some kind of epoxy injection would be the way to do it but there may be something better out there.

Would sealing the concrete also help with this ? (ie: it would repel water)

I have an idea on what could have caused this: In the fall they blasted for days at the end of my street (200' away) to extend the street, I was ****** that they didn't do that earlier but I don't know for sure if that's the culprit. I doubt I have any kind of against them plus, there was a hairline crack where that big crack appeared.

As usual, thanks a lot to all of you folks who make this forum happen. :cheers:

Re: Concrete issues... not too sure what to do

mart242 said:
<taps microphone> hello? anyone here? <taps microphone>

Please be patient. When someone with the expertise to answer your question logs in, they will see your post and answer your question as they are able. :)

Re: Concrete issues... not too sure what to do

257WbyMag said:
mart242 said:
<taps microphone> hello? anyone here? <taps microphone>

Please be patient. When someone with the expertise to answer your question logs in, they will see your post and answer your question as they are able. :)

Yeah I know but since we're in pool opening season my post was falling at the bottom of the list so I figured that a bump wouldn't hurt. A bit premature maybe but the part of me that worries about stuff wants to know how to deal with it to simply put it behind me.

The pool was nice today however, the kids sure really like it! Crystal clear water thanks to pool school!

mart242 said:
My pool is still under warranty until the end of summer so I want the pool builder to fix it but after the rust on the diving board fiasco with him (and the excellent idea of a bedliner spray on it to protect it

As usual, thanks a lot to all of you folks who make this forum happen. :cheers:

Sorry can't help you with the concrete problem (maybe look to a company that does concrete driveways for advice??)

Regarding your ladder, if he was talking about something like LineX ( http://www.linex.com/ ), that stuff is indestructible. They mention several times about salt water resistance. The place I get my vehicle rustproofed at (Krown rustproofing in Burlington, ON) deals with this stuff and I know it's highly recommended for bedliners. Not sure what your ladder problem is, but weirdly, something like LineX might work.

Totally off topic, I wonder if you could line a pool with this stuff?

No one? must fear litigation :)
Crack stitching varies a bit but is essentially the same process. Open up the crack wide enough to get the epoxy in with enough mass to hold and cut perpendicular cuts to the crack and lay in stainless steel ties (twisted looking things)

Found this whilst looking for picture to show you, quite a substantial looking thing.

http://www.torque-lock.com/

Thanks for the torque lock thingy, maybe it could be part of the solution I need.

The pool builder sent a guy yesterday and he agreed that just patching the crack may not last long. He said that something like rubber / epoxy coating may be better since it will never crack but my concern is that even if it doesn't crack I may end up with an uneven deck because parts of it are sinking.

My pool is vinyl w/ steel walls and "Z" brackets that hold the deck. Well, they are supposed to hold it..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.