Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy pool water

This is my 3rd year owning and operating an 18ft above ground pool. This season after taking cover off no algae, but alot of dirt and debris, mulch etc. Vacuumed, back washed, vacuumed, back washed over and over. Bought an open kit added shock, algaecide and chlorine in that order. Mother told me I was supposed to balance water first then shock. Anyway, the water became very cloudy, so added 2oz of clarifier after 36 hours still cloudy, so added another 2 oz. still cloudy, will Pool Perfect work better, and should I keep adding this type of chemical or is there something else
    PA Pool Mom
    18ft; 8600 gal; Round AGP; Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy pool water

Welcome to TFP!

Can you post a set of test results to include FC, CC, pH, CH, CYA, and TA? This will help us narrow down what is going on.

3. Back To Top    #3

In addition to the chemistry numbers...please tell us a little bit about your pool (size, material, features, pump, filter). In no time...you, too will have a trouble free pool.
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

FC 0 (not registering chlorine no matter how much I put in, which I read may be from organic materials like all the debris that was in pool when took cover off? This is why I added clarifier)
    PH btwn 7.8-8.4
    TA btwn 40-80
    TH 200
    CYA 30-50

I have an 18ft above ground round pool with Hayward sand filter
    PA Pool Mom

5. Back To Top    #5

Which test kit do you have? Is it an OTO chlorine test?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

just using test strips right now that came with start up kit
    PA Pool Mom

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have very high FC they can bleach out and read as zero. I'd want a second opinion before continuing to add chlorine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I do think the chlorine is actually too high. Because it wasn't registering, I kept adding chlorine, then finally stopped. Can smell it on body, also kids complaining about eyes burning and skin itchy. Even dry throat and cough. Can this be harmful?

Water still cloudy. Went out today and bought Pool First Aid by Natural Chemistry and a Poolmaster indicator solutions test kit with OTO and Phenol red.
    PA Pool Mom

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd get your pH down to anywhere below 7.8 and not let anyone swim until you get a trustworthy FC reading.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by solarboy
    I'd get your pH down to anywhere below 7.8 and not let anyone swim until you get a trustworthy FC reading.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by mkcmone
    I Went out today and bought Pool First Aid by Natural Chemistry
    You don't need it. You need reliable test results and probably some POP. If your PH is over 7.8 that could be part of the problem.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok days later from cloudy pool posts (thank you all for your help) and water is looking better, but when I am testing water with dip test here are my numbers:

FC = still not registering for dip test 0

PH = slow to register at first can barely see the color, but then looks pink I guess 7.5

TA = 80

TH = 200

CYA = 0

Now when I do the OTO/PHENOL liquid test

FC is good pretty yellow

PH also looks good pinkish/purple

I have chlorinated, stabilized, algaecided, ph'ed, shocked you name it! What am I doing wrong?? Never had this much trouble balancing the water. Noticed that when I am hand skimming getting up clumps of baby looking bees at the bottom of pool could this be my problem??
    PA Pool Mom

12. Back To Top    #12

The very best thing you could do would be to get a better test kit. Test strips are just not that reliable, especially for CYA readings, which are very important to know. I recommend the TF100 from TFTestKits.net. They Taylor K-2006 is also good.

It seems unlikely that CYA could be 0 now when it was 30-50 a week ago, though there is some chance the CYA turned into ammonia. It would be really nice to be more confident of what CYA really was because the treatment for CYA at zero and the one for CYA at 30-50 are fairly different.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

You're biggest problem is putting any faith in the strip reading. If the OTO turns yellow you have chlorine. Since it measures total and not free we don't know if most or all of it is CC's but there is some in there.

Bite the bullet and get yourself a good test kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator