need a little chem help (or reassurance)

flyweed

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Hey all,

I cannot believe June is almost here, and I am STILL looking at my leaf and winter covers on my pool! May has been so dang cold, rainy and dreary we have had NO motivation to open it up yet.....until today. I pumped all the winter and rain YUCK water off the cover, and took off the leaf net.

I loosened the winter cover cable, and grabbed a sample of the water in the pool

Here's my numbers....I just wanted to run by you guys, to make sure I'll be adding the correct amount of stuff.

First..my pool holds 25,600 gallons (33 foot diameter AGP)

Temp: 64F
FC: 0 (test sample didn't even turn pink when I added the powder) So I need to add 159 oz of 6% bleach
pH: 6.8 (I am only going to raise it up to 7.0 because I still want to lower my TA a bit yet)
TA: 140 ppm
CH: 120
CYA: 48

Salt Level: 4,670 ( I have a SWG that calls for 5600ppm)So I need to add 5 bags of salt

Please take a look at my number and let me know if I missed anything, or my numbers aren't right. I have the pool calc on my Ipod Touch and did all the calculations on it.

Thanks
Dan

Hey, Dan,

Did you run the pump for a while before pulling the sample water?

How does your water look? Do you have any debris in the pool?

CYA test results are normally in increments of 10ppm. (40, 40, 80, etc.) How did you get 48?

nope...I am topping off the pool yet..so water isn't up to skimmer level yet. There is some small debris in the pool water left over from the fall closing..but otherwise water is clear. I plan on starting the pump and filter tomorrow once water level is topped up

and and for CYA the level wasn't at 40 and it was just under 50...so I called it 48

Dan

I plan on starting the pump and filter tomorrow once water level is topped up
I got it. So your CYA will be reduced somewhat as you fill, TA, CH and pH should be the same...more or less.

I'd put enough FC in the pool tomorrow AM to get to around 6-8ppm. That's just a tad over maintenance but will give the FC a chance to kill of anything that might be hanging around in the pool without getting to low.

Sounds like you're off to a trouble free start! :lol:

:party: :party: AWESOME :party: :party:

I'll add some 6% bleach tomorrow to get it up to 6-8ppm and I'll recheck the FC tomorrow night and see where we set.

Can't wait to get our pool open for the season. Our kids are a bout dying that we don't have it open yet..but like I said, May has just been horrible weather wise, and I didn't want anymore $500 gas bills for running our heater so much

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.