Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need a little chem help (or reassurance)

1. Back To Top    #1

need a little chem help (or reassurance)

Hey all,

I cannot believe June is almost here, and I am STILL looking at my leaf and winter covers on my pool! May has been so dang cold, rainy and dreary we have had NO motivation to open it up yet.....until today. I pumped all the winter and rain YUCK water off the cover, and took off the leaf net.

I loosened the winter cover cable, and grabbed a sample of the water in the pool

Here's my numbers....I just wanted to run by you guys, to make sure I'll be adding the correct amount of stuff.

First..my pool holds 25,600 gallons (33 foot diameter AGP)

Temp: 64F
    FC: 0 (test sample didn't even turn pink when I added the powder) So I need to add 159 oz of 6% bleach
    pH: 6.8 (I am only going to raise it up to 7.0 because I still want to lower my TA a bit yet)
    TA: 140 ppm
    CH: 120
    CYA: 48

Salt Level: 4,670 ( I have a SWG that calls for 5600ppm)So I need to add 5 bags of salt

Please take a look at my number and let me know if I missed anything, or my numbers aren't right. I have the pool calc on my Ipod Touch and did all the calculations on it.

Thanks
    Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: need a little chem help (or reassurance)

Hey, Dan,

Did you run the pump for a while before pulling the sample water?

How does your water look? Do you have any debris in the pool?

CYA test results are normally in increments of 10ppm. (40, 40, 80, etc.) How did you get 48?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you have the pump running for at least an hour before you took your water sample?

Also remember to warm the water sample to room temp for the CYA test.

(dang, Dave, you're typing faster )
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

nope...I am topping off the pool yet..so water isn't up to skimmer level yet. There is some small debris in the pool water left over from the fall closing..but otherwise water is clear. I plan on starting the pump and filter tomorrow once water level is topped up

and and for CYA the level wasn't at 40 and it was just under 50...so I called it 48

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I plan on starting the pump and filter tomorrow once water level is topped up
    I got it. So your CYA will be reduced somewhat as you fill, TA, CH and pH should be the same...more or less.

I'd put enough FC in the pool tomorrow AM to get to around 6-8ppm. That's just a tad over maintenance but will give the FC a chance to kill of anything that might be hanging around in the pool without getting to low.

Sounds like you're off to a trouble free start!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

AWESOME

I'll add some 6% bleach tomorrow to get it up to 6-8ppm and I'll recheck the FC tomorrow night and see where we set.

Can't wait to get our pool open for the season. Our kids are a bout dying that we don't have it open yet..but like I said, May has just been horrible weather wise, and I didn't want anymore $500 gas bills for running our heater so much

Dan