Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocking question?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking question?

My pool is using up too much chlorine through the course of the day so a shock was in order. I need to bring my FC level up to 20 and hold it there until my FC loss at night is less then 1ppm. So, last night I start the process, get the pool up to 22ppm at sunset, this morning it has dropped to 14ppm so I add another case of chlorox bringing it up to 23ppm =/-. When I get home from work my FC has dropped to 8ppm. How does one manage to keep the ppm above 20ppm and still have a job. Do I need to really load up to offset the drop? With it dropping back to 8, did I lose any progress I might have made putting me back to square 1?
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocking question?

It will take a little longer, but it can be done. As long as the FC stays above 0 you are making progress. After a couple of days the FC will hold longer as the algae dies off. Keep the pump running as much as you can, bring the FC up to shock level first thing in the morning and check it when you get home. Bump it back up to shock level, backwash if needed, and check the FC again just before sundown. Bump it up to shock level again and check in the morning. Don't worry, it sounds like you are doing fine so far.

After the pool is cleaned up be sure to keep the FC in the acceptable range for your pool to prevent this from happening again. If you post a complete set of test results we can help you find your FC range.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The strange thing is the pool is clean, I don't see any algae it just wont hold FC. My PH is 7.4, CYA 50, TA 70, CH 50. I did a overnight test and lost 1.2ppm which is not mush over the 1.0ppm or less target but I am still losing FC like a champ. Sun is setting now so I will check in again tonight and in the morning.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

BOR,

My PH is 7.4, CYA 50, TA 70, CH 5
    Did you bring FC back up to 20 this evening?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, as soon as I got home and saw it was 8 and added chlorine. Just tested it and I am at 21.5 FC. I will test it again in the early AM and if the drop is more then 1ppm I will boost the chlorine to get it through the day a little stronger.

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Tested this morning the FC had dropped from 21.5 last night to 19.5 this moring. Went ahead and raised the FC to approx 26.5 to offset some of my loss while I am at work. Will check it again when I get home.

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Got home and the FC had dropped to 12, bumped it back to 21! Time to head to Sam's to get more Clorox!

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Don't give up! There are some recent success stories here if you need encouragement!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Not going to give up, I have too much Clorox invested! Is it safe to swim in a pool with the FC at 20? Nobody has asked yet but it's 95 degrees here and it's only a matter of time.

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

There's no chance you have a bunch of debris in the pump strainer or in the filter itself consuming all the chlorine, is there?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    There's no chance you have a bunch of debris in the pump strainer or in the filter itself consuming all the chlorine, is there?
    Similar thing happened to me last year or the year before. I shocked for days but the water looked great. I finally backwashed even though the pressure was fine. The backwash was disgustingly brown and green. Chlorine held just fine after that
    25000 gal inground freeform plaster pool with spillover hot tub. 1.5 hp PacFab Challenger pump, Hayward DE filter, Natural Gas heater, BBB convert 2009, Aquasol solar panels on ground rack 2010, PS-4 controller 2010, Rocky roller, SWG 2011.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by mokabb
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Similar thing happened to me last year or the year before. I shocked for days but the water looked great. I finally backwashed even though the pressure was fine. The backwash was disgustingly brown and green. Chlorine held just fine after that

You might consider replacing your pressure gauge... just in case.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I would swim in that water and have happily done so. Nevertheless, the forum sort of needs a go/no-go point to give newbies some guidance and that point we have decided is shock level. So with your CYA at 50, that means shock level is 20 so, in theory, you should let it get a little lower.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for the input everyone. I checked my pump pressure last night and the pressure was fine but I will backwash my filter just in case and make sure all of the skimmer baskets are cleaned out good. My FC dropped to 18.5 overnight so I raised it back up over 20 and will watch it through out the day. I didn't realize that debris in a skimmer basket would consume chlorine......learn something every day!

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits