tiniest leak ever

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
i have a very tiny leak at the pump pressure pipe joint. it's really small, on a hot day it doesn't even make it to the ground, but the perfectionist in me want to fix it.

the proper way to fix a pvc pipe leak is to cut it out and replace. i recently did a good amount of repiping and can easily do this kind of work. but the leak is so small i don't really want to break the threaded joint and redo it.

is there some compound that would be applicable here? or can i get some shavings from the pvc pipe, mix it with the pvc cement and put it around the pipe?

here is the pic.. the leak is where hex body of the pipe fitting joins the pump body (red circle)

Attachments

• IMGP0067.JPG
    IMGP0067.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 123
There is a PVC type repair glue that Lowe's sell in the plumbing dept that might do the trick. It comes in a syringe style applicator to get in small spots. I really think you need to look the other way on this one. It's so tiny! You lose more water getting out of your pool!

I like to fix things right - I normally see threaded unions at the pump connections. Otherwise you could cut the pipe after the 90, remove the screwed in male adapter going into the pump and install a new Hayward MPT, Slip union into the pump- then a new stub, 90 and coupling.
valve. This way it is easier to remove and service even though you may have a union down the line. Also when you install the union into the pump use teflon tape and pipe dope if your really concerned about a possible leak. I also install a T fitting with a brass boiler valve at the pump outlet as a way to quickly drain off water if I get too much rain.

Just my 2x but I like things to work as designed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.