Cloudy, opaque pool even after chems

Have a 14000 gallon above ground. My pool has been cloudy and opaque the whole time since we opened it a few days ago. Been trying to vacuum leaves out all along, too. Last numbers I had were FC 2.5, CC 1.5, TA 190, CH 220, and CYA 30. Seems like fairly good number. Calculator said add 44 oz of bleach. Did that a couple or three hours ago but still looks the same. Haven't done my numbers again. Don't want to waste my test chems. Can anyone help? I just hate to take water to the pool place. Seems like we can't get out of there without losing an arm, a leg, and two toes.

Dickie and Teresa said:
Sorry - but how much would that be?
Shock level for a CYA of 30 is about 12ppm FC. See the CYA/Chlorine Chart and How to Shock your Pool in Pool School. Big button top of each page.

To calculate chemical doses, go to the Pool Calculator. Link in my sig.

I just saw your posts, but this was after I put in 4 bags of shock and checked an hour later. I probably should have just poured in bleach vs the powdered shock. It shot my FC to 22.5 and TC to 24.5. Decided to leave it alone until tomorrow. That was a couple of hours ago. I just turned my pump off to see what it will look like in the morning. Hope that was the right thing to do.
I use a TF 100 kit to test. I saw the shock level for a CYA of 30, 12ppm FC, but I did not know what that meant. I have used the pool calculator.
We used the big net to get most of the leaves out of the pool. Hoping that leaving the pump off will reveal the bottom of the pool. Maybe some stuff will settle. What about a flocculant? I know my husband will probably want to take a sample to the pool place tomorrow. You know what that means - another arm, leg, or toe!

With CYA at 30, raising FC above 20 is rather extreme.

You don't want to use floc before you are sure the algae is all dead. For that matter I don't really recommend floc, as it is money and work when you could just let the filter do it's job. Of course a sand filter does take significantly longer.

We recommend leaving the pump running while shocking. Leaving it off isn't a big deal as long as it was on for at least an hour after you added chemicals. But on is slightly better. Other than that, wait until tomorrow and see what happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I checked my other numbers and plugged them into the Calculator. I used 12 as my goal for FC. My other numbers were FC 17, CC 1.5, TA 210, CH 230, and pH 7.8. I did not check CYA. Figured it was about 30, same as before. The Calculator says to add 69 oz of muriatic acid. Does this sound right and where do I get that? At the pool place? Thanks, anybody, for your help.

FC started last night at 22, and this morning it was 17, so you are still losing chlorine overnight. Also, CC is still 1.5, so you are not done shocking for that reason also. FC didn't fall to zero, so you are making good progress but aren't quite there yet.

Leave the PH alone. The PH test tends to be off when FC levels are that high. Test PH again sometime when the FC level is below 10, or just don't worry about pH until you are done shocking. Muriatic acid is nice to have. It is a little annoying to handle because of the fumes, but is the least expensive way to lower PH. You can find it at most hardware stores.

With CYA around 30, target a shock level of 12 to 15.

In the Pool Calc you put your now reading in the Now column and then put 15 in the Target column, and it'll tell you how much it takes to get there.

And yes, you should be shocking all the time until you pass the OCLT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.