On-Ground Deck Pool dug into slope

jch said:
Back to TFP after a long time away. Just thought I should mention that the tax man came and re-assessed my property. Added $20K to the assessed value of the home and property. This was not supposed to happen for "above ground" pools, but I guess I made it look so permanent that they decided to tax it as a permanent improvement.
The city governments around here are struggling for money, so creative interpretation of rules is common. Personally I would get an unbiased 2nd opinion and if it was lower I'd appeal.

Sent via Tapatalk...

DSG said:
Nice pool! I wish I was handy enough to pull that off. I am looking into an Aquastar on-ground pool myself. How is the pool now? Any issues?

Thanks for the input.

No problems at all. It is a solid pool and I love the Genovations PVC decking. Everyone that sees it assumes it is an inground pool. It held up fine through the winter. This year I added one more fitting to the side that is normally an inlet fitting, but I put it at a height that lets water drain out when it rains a lot and the pool would otherwise overflow. This lets me control exactly where excess water goes because it comes out in a pipe that I can direct down my slope.

It all depends on how you dig the hole. If you had a completely flat bottom, I think the water depth is about 38" because the skimmer mounts below the top steel frame. My wife wanted ours deeper, so we have a "safety ledge" all the way around the pool that provides the dirt support for the wall frame, but then it drops off to give us a deeper tray. Our deep end is about 52" deep, but AquastarMI has told me that some people go a full 8' deep.

You can see the "tray" with safety ledge on image 28 and 29 of page 1. By the way, we love the 2" foam bottom. It feels great on your feet. Nice and soft, but it doesn't "ding" like a sand bottom. My only problem with using foam board is that there are seams between each 4X8 sheet where the vinyl falls slightly lower than the main bottom. I had thought that using spray foam between the seams would make them invisible to the vinyl, but the spray foam is very soft and compresses. This makes a seam for trapping dirt, bugs, etc. In a way, this might be good because when I vacuum the pool I just go to the seam and suck it clean. Since I have no experience having a pool without this seam, I don't actually know if this is good or bad.

mickeyb said:
We are looking at this pool. But, we think we want a pool depth of only 48-52 inches from one end to the other. Is this a possibility?

Absolutely. As I mentioned before, although I could have made an 8ft deep end, I only went 52". I think it makes the entire pool useful for all, whereas if it had the deep end, everyone would gather in the shallow for drinking suds and such.

The never ending project... I've been working on the steps that lead down my slope this summer. I got a quote from a cement guy for stamped concrete and he was wanting over $5000.00 for the job. So I bought an electric cement mixer and the little stone pattern maker from Lowes. It's turning out pretty nice. Once it's done, I'll stain the concrete to make it look more natural. I'm almost done and have spent less than $500 including purchasing the cement mixer.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 306
Almost done with steps. Looks much better now that it is grouted. Need to wait 30 days before I can use the cement stain to make the rocks look more realistic. Living on a hill is nice for some things... basement, pool on otherwise unusable land,... but in other ways it is a curse.... steps, mowing on slope, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20130701_074214.jpg
    IMG_20130701_074214.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_20130701_074153.jpg
    IMG_20130701_074153.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 300

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh my Gosh, this is incredible. If you want a vacation in San Diego, stay anytime and let us please hire you to do our pool!! :))

LOL This is a great set up though. Welcome to TFP Randekasp.

Holy cow! That is a beautiful pool. I am new to TFP, and am considering the Aquastarmi pool. I love a challenge and my slope isn't even close to yours. I love the pools that they offer and live in Michigan about 2 hrs from Troy, where they are located. I am trying to convince the wife of the benefits of the "on ground" VS above ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.