Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help please

1. Back To Top    #1

help please

wow there is so much info on here I am really overwhelmed. I am wanting to convert my pool- it is uncovered and top water clear bottom full of algae. Used test strips and it measures no baquacil- algistat or sanitizer- where should I start now????? Vacuum first or start dumping bleach I checked out the calculator but I am lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    27' Round, AG, vinyl, 17,100 gallon,Sand filter, Baqua Pure pump 2.5 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help please

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ine_conversion is where you should start. The good test kit is not optional for this. Do it right, or don't do it at all, because otherwise you'll be stuck in technicolor slime with an unswimmable pool all summer long.

If there's a bunch of leaves and branches in the bottom, get them out first. They'll just consume chlorine you'd rather have oxidizing bacquacil.

If, indeed, you have no detectable bacquacil, your conversion will go real fast!

But take pictures anyway. We love to see the colors.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the reply no branches or leaves we just uncovered its just algea slime.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi gretchen,

After reading the article that Richard linked, if you have questions, please let us know.

Welcome to the forum!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I've read the article- so today I am going to the local pool store and pick up a test kit then I guess I will test the water enter in my info on the calculator and then see how much bleach I need to put in the pool, am understanding it right?

6. Back To Top    #6

Be sure the kit you get has the FAS-DPD chlorine test and not just the DPD test. A lot of people try to buy the kit from a pool store and are sold the DPD kit because the pool store tells them it's the same. Trust us, it's NOT! Don't be fooled.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks for the tip- I am trying to write all this down I am still so nervous about doing this. I have almost talked myself out of converting but can't afford not to change over.

8. Back To Top    #8

It's all pretty intimidating at first but once you get going it is a lot easier than you think. And we're always here to help.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I am trying to write all this down I am still so nervous about doing this
    Don't sweat it. Folks here on the forum will help you every step of the way....just ask.

Also, even though I have an agenda, it is REALLY important you have that FAS/DPD kit to do your conversion.....everything else is a very poor substitute.

Choose either the Taylor K-2006 (NOT the K-2005!!), Leslie's FAS/DPD kit, or TFTestkits TF-100
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

saw on one of the threads you can buy higher concentration bleach at pool store is this ok?

12. Back To Top    #12

Absolutely, sometimes it's even cheaper than the 6% you get at the big box stores.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator