Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How is this possible?

1. Back To Top    #1

How is this possible?

Ok, a relative built a 40K pool in Mexico (note: hot, sunny). There is no filtration system; it is drained and refilled once every two months or so. He vacuums it occasionally (once every several weeks) using a siphon action that draws some water out as he vacuums. The only thing he tests is pH and chlorine levels.

The pH stays right at 7.6 without any maintenance.

Here's the kicker: he says he adds around 2 cups of granular chlorine once every 4 weeks or so and the FC remains at above 2ppm. And it's in the hot Mexican sun all day. I've been to his pool a couple of times; it is clear and NOT green.

Is there something I'm missing? Maybe something in the water?
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How is this possible?

If the granular chlorine is dichlor, and they are actually adding it quite a bit more often than you describe, and the fill water levels were appropriate, that could maybe work. But as described, simply not possible.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If the granular chlorine is dichlor, and they are actually adding it quite a bit more often than you describe, and the fill water levels were appropriate, that could maybe work. But as described, simply not possible.
    That's what I thought, but he stays in Mexico for a couple of months, then leaves for a couple of months, then goes back. And only he maintains the pool. And he's not the type to lie/exaggerate, so not sure what's going on.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Gremlins.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Does he put an opaque cover on the pool, probably white to reflect the sun so as not to heat up the pool too much? If so, then the chlorine usage rate can drop to somewhat low levels when not exposed to sunlight, though 4 weeks is a bit of a stretch unless the water was cool which is unlikely during the summer.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Does he put an opaque cover on the pool, probably white to reflect the sun so as not to heat up the pool too much? If so, then the chlorine usage rate can drop to somewhat low levels when not exposed to sunlight, though 4 weeks is a bit of a stretch unless the water was cool which is unlikely during the summer.
    No he doesn't. My only guess is he drains it more often than he says, but he was here in the states for the past month, so it's got to be at least a month in between.

Doesn't make sense. Although gremlins would explain it...

7. Back To Top    #7

He's not a salesman by any chance is he?

The salesman I work with also has a pool and to hear him tell it he doesn't do anything but scoop leaves out, he never tests the pool. Then I visited with my kit as he asked me to check it for him, low and behold the pool guy shows up to do the maintenance!

LMAO!

To make a long story short, he has 5 patched holes in his liner (its less than 5 years old), the CYA is through the roof and he has four pucks in his skimmer. I was polite and declined to make any recommendations other than a complete drain and refill...which he most likely won't do.

He never has to touch his pool!
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011