Clearing my green swamp for a week and a half

Here's a little encouragement! Just over a week ago I came home from vacation to a slightly green pool. It has also been really green a couple of times before. Shock made the pool cloudy again starting on 5/22. This picture was taken this morning (that's why it looks dark) of my robot in the deep end of the pool, somewhere around 7' down. Completely finish the shock process and the sand filter will get the pool clear! :)

drain.jpg

So... 9pm, FC =16.5, shocked back to 20 (still working ), but we just had to shut the filter down. The sky is lit up with lightening and we have a state of emergency/tornado warnings... here is Massachusetts. I have lived here my entire 39 years and NEVER heard a tornado warning! So we will see what happens after the storms pass.

Yes, We are all fine here in the North (about an hour away from the tornados). I have never seen that before! Thanks for the concern.

As for pool, filter went back on at midnight. This morning, lots of pollen floating on top with other tree stuff. FC=20. It looks to have finally held the overnight loss test! It should really start to clear up now, I hope.

My head is getting cloudy now... Overnight tests are good. The pool is really clearing up now. I can see vinyl creases on the bottom floor, but it is NOT crystal clear yet. Do I still shock? or can I let the chlorine come down and just filter the rest of the cloudy out? Thanks for the advice.
:-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
emmeaus, Congratulations on your progress. I am curious about one thing. During the two weeks when you were shocking to 15 were you testing every couple of hours and bringing it back to 15 or were you testing once or twice a day and bringing it to 15? Same question for the week you have been shocking to 20?

Larry, I was testing about 4 times a day, 1 @ 7am, 2nd @ 12pm(after a vacuum), 3rd @ 5, 4th @ 9-10pm. But definitely the key to making progress was shocking to 20 instead of 15. Big difference... and when it fell below, it never went below 16. I just shocked it for the last time this morning and by 5 tonight it is finally crystal clear :party: . I vacuumed and I will take a picture tomorrow.

Last question, at what FC level, can I let the kids swim???

Thank you all SSSOOOOOOOOO much. Cheers to you all for your help
:cheers: Sharon

Most valuable info for my green pool:

I. You're done shocking when:
1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.
From Butterfly

II.SHOCK TO 20!!!!!! :whip: RELIGIOUSLY!!!! From Duraleigh

III. Added DE replacement (Ecoclean Maintain) to sand filter to increase ability to filter cloudiness ... adding more if needed after numerous backwashes. From previous forums & Richard320

IV. Expect that it COULD REALLY TAKE 3 WEEKS TO GET CRYSTAL CLEAR!!!!!! From ME and my experience!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.