Looking for pictures of deck construction & tips

looper

May 6, 2010
Hey guys,

So I want to build a 2nd stand alone deck to connect my pool to my main deck. I purchased a good book which shows the latest building techniques, but I am having trouble figuring out how to finish the header/outside joists closest to the pool side (since there is no room to finish them in the traditional way). Here is a drawing of what I want to do:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/231214/deck.jpg

The yellow part is what I have to build.

If you have any tips, pics of your joists/beam setup, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks. It really should be a simple project, but there is so little info on building pool decks (round AGP's that is). I figured with all the talent here, I should be able to get some useful info :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a shot of the framing, I made each section individual, and tied them together creating a 2-ply beam between each section at which I put a 4x4 post and deck block on each end.
I simply tied the main deck to these sections and used joist hangers (installed after, not seen in this pic). Where the skimmer is, I had to create a dropped beam to pick up the load so I could frame around the skimmer.

Attachments

• DSC02073a.jpg
    DSC02073a.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 264
Here is my drawing...sorry, no during construction pic...but I'll add one after

deckplan.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.