Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Looking for pictures of deck construction & tips

Looking for pictures of deck construction & tips

Hey guys,

So I want to build a 2nd stand alone deck to connect my pool to my main deck. I purchased a good book which shows the latest building techniques, but I am having trouble figuring out how to finish the header/outside joists closest to the pool side (since there is no room to finish them in the traditional way). Here is a drawing of what I want to do:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/231214/deck.jpg

The yellow part is what I have to build.

If you have any tips, pics of your joists/beam setup, I would really appreciate it!

Re: Looking for pictures of deck construction & tips

Hi, bumping this back to page 1. Good luck on your build.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

Thanks. It really should be a simple project, but there is so little info on building pool decks (round AGP's that is). I figured with all the talent here, I should be able to get some useful info

There are a lot of nice above ground decks on the forum, it sometimes takes awhile for one of the owners to show up!
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

I would settle for blue prints showing how to properly place the posts closest to the pool

Don't know if this is what you are looking for?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' AG Doughboy w/ 5'8 dish bottom, CWII DE Filter, 1.5 hayward 2 speed pump, Aquatrol SWG.

That's a great start, it shows how you finished the surface (which was very helpful), do you happen to have a photo of construction process? Thanks for taking the time to share!

This site shows some deck plans for above ground pools.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

I started with that site (was originally going to use those blocks), but since those plans are designed for above ground blocks, it changes everything.

Where are you at? I designed my deck at Menards, most Big Box stores have in house programs that will show you everything you need to know.
    24' AG Doughboy w/ 5'8 dish bottom, CWII DE Filter, 1.5 hayward 2 speed pump, Aquatrol SWG.

Here is the current progress of my deck build, it wasn't that bad to frame, just time consuming.
    24' round x 54" Tahitian (Sharkline), 1.5HP Sta-rite Pump, 22" 250lb. sand filter with Zeo-best media, Hayward H250FDN heater, Del Clear Ozonator, SWG or Rola-Chem feeder, not sure?, Trident Automatic Pool Cleaner, 100Watt Nightlighter, Underwater light show and fountain, 2" Hard Plumbed.
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!

Here is a shot of the framing, I made each section individual, and tied them together creating a 2-ply beam between each section at which I put a 4x4 post and deck block on each end.
    I simply tied the main deck to these sections and used joist hangers (installed after, not seen in this pic). Where the skimmer is, I had to create a dropped beam to pick up the load so I could frame around the skimmer.
    24' round x 54" Tahitian (Sharkline), 1.5HP Sta-rite Pump, 22" 250lb. sand filter with Zeo-best media, Hayward H250FDN heater, Del Clear Ozonator, SWG or Rola-Chem feeder, not sure?, Trident Automatic Pool Cleaner, 100Watt Nightlighter, Underwater light show and fountain, 2" Hard Plumbed.
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!

Here is my drawing...sorry, no during construction pic...but I'll add one after

24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

Those are some really nice decks!

I did try Lowes, but their software couldn't handle the curve.