Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New gunnite pool Westchester, NY TF100 first tests- advice?

1. Back To Top    #1

New gunnite pool Westchester, NY TF100 first tests- advice?

Memorial day and just got back from business travel- kids are dying to use pool for the first time (as promised)!

pH was more red than any of the shades on the cylinder- I figure it would have been about 8.5 or so if the shades went that high
    Cl was totally clear, no shade match to any of the yellows
    TC = .5
    TA = 90
    CH = 340
    CYA dot never disappeared, water was clear even when adding solution right to the top of the test tube

Advise? I'm off to the pool calculator to find out what I can. Sig has pool specs
    Thanks!
    Ken
    24k gallon inground with 500 gallon spa, 580sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2HP variable speed pump, Jandy 1400 SWG AquaCal Heat Pump, Diamondbrite Aqua Quartz plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New gunnite pool Westchester, NY TF100 first tests- advi

How new is the plaster? There are special procedures for taking care of plaster in the first three or four weeks. Take a look at the National Plasterers Council plaster startup card. You basically want to keep the pump running 24/7, put trichlor tablets in the skimmer, and keep the PH below 8.0.

If the pool is more than a month old, then the instructions are very different.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Plaster is 3 weeks old. Pump has run full time for that time while we brush and PB allegedly watched the chemical levels.

I'm now on my own.
    24k gallon inground with 500 gallon spa, 580sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2HP variable speed pump, Jandy 1400 SWG AquaCal Heat Pump, Diamondbrite Aqua Quartz plaster

4. Back To Top    #4

Alright, then it is time to raise the CYA level up to around 40 or 50 and start adding more chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School