Newly Installed Hayward 4025 -- how long?

UGH! We have had so much trouble this year with our 30,000 gallon inground pool! First our pipes burst when we switched everything on, so had to have those repaired (thankfully they were above ground), then no matter how perfect the water chemistry, it would just not clear up. It has stayed cloudy/milky blue, and we're only able to see the first step.

Pool company advises us that we should replace our sand filter, and go with a hayward 4025 swimclear cartridge. $1500 later, and It was installed on Friday morning, and after testing our water, and again telling us that everything is perfect, they told us in about 48 hours it should be clear. Well, it's been 72hours, and I can't tell much of a difference.

On average, does anyone have any idea how long it should take to polish and clean the water, and trap all the dirt particles that are floating around in there? Does it help if the fountain is on? Or will that take away from how many gallons are getting filtered?

Also, I haven't noticed it before, but I can slightly smell chlorine in the water, is that bad? Or is it because I was trying to keep the shock levels high to kill the algae, and turn it from a swamp back to a swimming pool?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Please post a full set of water test results. It is extremely likely that something is not adjusted correctly, despite what they say. Several things you mention hint at water balance problems, but without numbers it is difficult to say.

Assuming there is no living algae in the water, cartridge filter will normally clear up the water in two or three days, though it varies depending on several things. You should see an obvious visible improvement each day.

I very much doubt that anything was wrong with your old filter. Sand filters do take longer to clear the water, often around a week, but you should still see a visible improvement each day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.