Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover question

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover question

Opened my pool a few weeks earlier due to ripped winter cover. Put on the solar cover to keep some of the debris out of the pool.

When I took off the solar cover all of the bubbles are popped. Strange. Will the cover still work or do I need a new cover?
    24' X 52" Round AGP Hayward 1.5 HP

2. Back To Top    #2
    Midland, Ontario

Re: Solar cover question

It won't have the insulating properties it did when new. It will be better than nothing, but you'll notice it falling apart in the pool. You're probably best to grab a new one.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

3. Back To Top    #3
    Waaay NW MN

Get a new one. If the bubbles are popped, you will probably begin to find little parts of cover in your skimmer
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ottawa Canada

There is very little insulation provided by the pool cover so if the bubbles are popped and it still floats on top of the water I think its fine. Over 70%(the exact number is debatable of course) of heat is lost due to evaporation and as long as the cover is still in one piece it will continue to inhibit evaporation.

If the cover is beginning to drop little parts, yes, it won't be long until the base fabric begins to tear and so then I would order a new one.
    20x40 IGP Vinyl, 120,000L
    Hayward sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo (19gpm max)
    15 boxes(@4x10) of Enersol Solar Panels(S,E,W), Pentair solar controller
    AutoClear SWG, Kreepy Krawly
    Clear Vinyl Solar Cover, with solar reel, turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparking-oasis-t4147.html