Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't wait til this afternoon

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't wait til this afternoon

The wife's family is coming over for a barbeque/ birthday party this afternoon. I can't wait to show off the pool. Well, not the pool so much, as the water!

I know my brother-in-law has been having trouble with his pool. Last year he drained it. Don't ask me why, but his water company wasn't imposing restrictions and tiered rates. Still, it had to cost a bunch, his pool is bigger than mine. So he refilled and that was about the last we heard. Until about 5 weeks ago, when my father-in-law was over. Almost the first thing he did was rush out the back door to look at my pool. "Oh! It looks very clear! Sergio's pool turned green."

We asked Sergio's wife if he had a mixer for when he tests his pool water. A speedstir seemed like the perfect gift for the man who has everything, including a green pool. Don't know what it is exactly, but she said, "Yes, he has a mixer thing that came with his test kit." ****. Knowing him, it's probably a commercial centrifuge....

Fast forward to his birthday, just after we got back from England. I mentioned that my pool was just fine, then asked how his was, as I'd heard it was green. "It's all out of whack. I'm just going to drain it and start all over." Two drains in two years!!

It's going to be great when he sees my pool. My father-in-law, or perhaps even Sergio's wife, is bound to blurt something out. Maybe now he'll start listening to me, and stop listening to the gruff old man at the pool store "that's been there for, like, 40 years" that he frequents.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't wait til this afternoon

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I know how you feel Richard. I babysat two kids for my husband's friend one day last summer. The little girl said, "Miss Samantha, your pool is soooo shiny and pretty, I wish ours looked like that!!!" When I asked them if they wanted to go swimming, the reply was "No ma'am. Our mom said we are not allowed to get in you guys pool because you pour bleach in it. We have to wait until we get home to go swimming."
    (you have to love the innocent honesty of small children)

Their pool is almost always very cloudy, if not completely green. Their parents are highly educated people, but they do not understand how the BBB method could be safe or healthy.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    The wife's family is coming over for a barbeque/ birthday party this afternoon. I can't wait to show off the pool. Well, not the pool so much, as the water!

I know my brother-in-law has been having trouble with his pool. Last year he drained it. Don't ask me why, but his water company wasn't imposing restrictions and tiered rates. Still, it had to cost a bunch, his pool is bigger than mine. So he refilled and that was about the last we heard. Until about 5 weeks ago, when my father-in-law was over. Almost the first thing he did was rush out the back door to look at my pool. "Oh! It looks very clear! Sergio's pool turned green."

We asked Sergio's wife if he had a mixer for when he tests his pool water. A speedstir seemed like the perfect gift for the man who has everything, including a green pool. Don't know what it is exactly, but she said, "Yes, he has a mixer thing that came with his test kit." ****. Knowing him, it's probably a commercial centrifuge....

Fast forward to his birthday, just after we got back from England. I mentioned that my pool was just fine, then asked how his was, as I'd heard it was green. "It's all out of whack. I'm just going to drain it and start all over." Two drains in two years!!

It's going to be great when he sees my pool. My father-in-law, or perhaps even Sergio's wife, is bound to blurt something out. Maybe now he'll start listening to me, and stop listening to the gruff old man at the pool store "that's been there for, like, 40 years" that he frequents.
    I would thoroughly enjoy an update on what happens. If you gain some ground, let us know. Very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha_in_AL
    I know how you feel Richard. I babysat two kids for my husband's friend one day last summer. The little girl said, "Miss Samantha, your pool is soooo shiny and pretty, I wish ours looked like that!!!" When I asked them if they wanted to go swimming, the reply was "No ma'am. Our mom said we are not allowed to get in you guys pool because you pour bleach in it. We have to wait until we get home to go swimming."

Their pool is almost always very cloudy, if not completely green. Their parents are highly educated people, but they do not understand how the BBB method could be safe or healthy.

Even funnier...I guess the parent don't have a chemistry background?

Poor Kids!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha_in_AL

And yet, they probably put 'chlorine' in the their pool? Funny, some bottles of bleach I see at the store actually say 'chlorine bleach' on them....
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320

Hmmm...one of you was adopted???
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

7. Back To Top    #7

How did it go?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

I was disappointed.

His excuse is that he needs to touch up the paint somewhere, so he just let it go since he'll be draining anyway. .

But I did find out his wife is wrong - he doesn't have a stirrer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!